Author Topic: V8 in a Europa & a whole lot of mods  (Read 6283 times)

Offline Mike Surber

Re: V8 in a Europa & a whole lot of mods
« Reply #15 on: Friday,March 03, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
In my theory anyway LOL The gas tank will help counter balance the extra weight of the engine in the back. It will set on center line & right over the "T" of the frame. Keeping the weight over the front axle line. I always thought that having the gas tank on the same side as the driver put the car out of balance to that side. Besides I never liked the idea of all that gas directly behind me. With no real side impact protection. By the way the radiator in an all aluminum "racing" Jeep Cherokee. It's only 11" tall but 35" wide. Good for a 4 lit. engine & the 215 is 3.5.

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #16 on: Friday,March 03, 2017, 10:26:24 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together. I just got a pain of heads with full valve train for $60 on ebay. One of the heads on the engine I'd bought was not in the greatest condition. Reasonably local about an hour away. So I can drive up & pick them up to save the shipping. I'd contacted them earlier in the week about buying them outright. But they came back with a ridiculous price. So I waited & bid on them & no other bidders LOL. Now I can move on with the work on the engine too.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,March 04, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »
Excellent!  :beerchug:

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #18 on: Monday,March 06, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »
It's almost like Christmas every day when the Postman comes (only I have to pay for it LOL). My new front shock & springs came the other day. Look great I upped the rate from stock of 100# to 150# with the added weight of the 17gal gas tank up front & what the engine will add. Probably go for 110-125# in the rear.

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #19 on: Monday,March 06, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »
I love getting to play with new toys/tools LOL I'd bought the pneumatic riveter several years ago. But it's just been setting on the shelf in the box. So I got it out today & been playing with it. Making the aluminum exiting duct for the radiator. It'll screw to the welded frame. Have to be put on with the wheels off or nose removed. My ball lock pins for that came today.

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Monday,March 06, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »
Nice duct work!

Richard at Banks has been advising 250# springs in the front ant 140# springs in the rear. That seems really stiff but you it actually doesn't hurt the ride to any degree. Given that, you may want to adjust your expectation for spring rates. Richard is a really helpful guy and he might be able to give you some advice. His website is http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/index.php

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #21 on: Monday,March 06, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
This is going to be a street/show car. So I'd really rather have it on the softer side than too stiff. Banks advise may be for racing or slaloms etc. But either way it's a starting place. Coil over springs are not that expensive.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 03:52:30 AM »
Just been reading this thread, v8 europa. Check out info on GKN47D. A europa 47 with the Buick/rover lump installed. Was built originally by lotus for GKN to show off their motor parts. I think it's in the states somewhere now.  When I first saw it and sat in it 😁 It was back in 1977, by then it was 4.4 Ltr fitted with 4x 48mm downdraught webbers. It was bit of a Hybrid with S2 doors if  I remember as it had a full leather interior with a radio cassette!  Real beast. Had to be started with the engine cover off to reduce the chances of setting it on fire!
I digress, but it had a std chassis and I think it was kicking out 300 bhp or so, there is some info on the net about the configuration and challenges with tuning the v8 in the Europa. I old school but useful I would think Also an autocar test.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 04:45:19 AM »
Is this the GKN you refer to?

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 04:48:39 AM »
GKN tagged

Offline buzzer

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 04:53:18 AM »
Your second post is the one.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline buzzer

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 04:59:18 AM »
Those funny spoilers on the front to keep the front on the ground. without them at over 125 the front would go very very light., or so I remember one the the mechanics tell me. they used to test it on the section of the M40. It was kept in the Vandervell R&D department so the Mechanics there used to service it and get it through it's MOT.
Dave,

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 05:13:26 AM »
This is going to be a street/show car. So I'd really rather have it on the softer side than too stiff. Banks advise may be for racing or slaloms etc. But either way it's a starting place. Coil over springs are not that expensive.

Just so you understand, Richard's advice was for street cars. EuropaTC runs those springs and I'll be putting them on my car soon.

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »
Thanks guys I remember reading about the GKN years ago. When I had my 69 in college. Didn't remember it had the Buick/Rover engine in it though. Just ordered my Weber IDF carbs & down draft manifold. Will be like they used in the Mclaren M1b. Have a Crower stage 3 cam coming too. Not trying to put out too much HP but getting the look & sound too. That front spoiler is a lot like what they did on the Lola T70 too. Funny but the lights they have for turn signals/running lights? I have identical ones to use as back up lights LOL.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 09:12:06 AM »
Mike,
One thing about the rear spring rates, if you're keeping the spring close to vertical (like they are on a stock Europa) then the rates you suggested might work provided you use the same length of spring as noted in the workshop manual (Lotus used a lot of preload on the stock springs).  But if your springs/dampers are inclined like the 47 (or my set up) then your rates are going to be way off.  If you have access to Alan Staniforths book "Race and Rally Car Source Book", there is a good write up on selecting springs.  I'm starting with 275 lb/in springs in the rear of my car and I'm almost certain I'll be upping the spring rate once I get to drive the car (based on my calculations I needed a 275 rate to work with the 200 lb/in springs in the front).

Rod