Author Topic: 3D Print your Europa Parts  (Read 6223 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
3D Print your Europa Parts
« on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
Earlier today, I created a new topic on rejuvenating the expensive windshield trim pieces with photos showing how I did it, but it never posted.  I'll keep this one short until I know it makes it before I become my over verbose self. :)

Several months ago, I picked up a MakerBot 3D printer from a Brooklyn based company here in the US.  It melts thermal plastic and extrudes it onto a build platform exactly like your inkjet printer lays ink down on paper.  The primary difference is, the build platform moves up and down in the Z axis, allowing the head (where the ink is located on your inkjet) to move over the same area and lay another layer of plastic down.  In this way, a 3 dimensional part can be built up.

Virtually any shape can be produced, even multiple shapes that have integral hinges, gears, pistons and axels that work directly out of the machine.  The technology lends itself quite nicely to auto restoration as many of the old plastic components haven't held up too well over the years and need to be replaced. 

Photo 1: My 3D printer
Photo 2: The extruder head (your inkjet printer's heads).  My printer can print 2 colors at a time (that's black oozing out of the left head).
Photo 3: The Z axis platform. This is where the parts are made.  The platform raises to meet the print heads.  After the heads lay out a single layer of plastic, the platform moves down .27mm and the heads print another layer on top of the first layer.  In this way, the part is built up one layer at a time.

Very simple and very cool.  Over here, people are buying these things and printing out parts to build 3D printers.  They're ALIVE!
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: 3D Print your Europa Parts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »
Nice tool that you have there. Have you tried to "print" any parts yet? More pictures of the parts if you have.

Joji

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »
Yes, I'll be printing parts for my car, both to replace broken/missing ones and making new, custom parts specifically for my layout.  It is a cool machine.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 01:39:52 AM »
Thank you for starting the thread, I think we'd all be interested to hear about what can be done and your progress with this equipment. I'm still struggling to grasp just how this sort of stuff is now available on the marketplace, as I said before it just seems like something out of Star Trek to me. I'm slightly saddened by your comment that your schools are incorporating this type of kit because over here I'm under the impression that we still think computers are a big deal in the classroom. I'd expect our universities & colleges to be up to speed, but schools ? I'd be stunned to find even one.

But a great topic to follow, I didn't realize how they worked or that you could even introduce different colors so it's a learning curve. It will be great if you could add your new projects to the thread as you go along to let us all see what's possible. They don't have to be Lotus-related, personally I'm more fascinated by the type of things you can do with it rather than having parts for my car.

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »
Brian,  I'm going to do a search of your schools to see if your concerns are as you fear.  I'd be willing to bet that the UK is as up-do-date on emerging technologies as anywhere else.  I mean, look... You guys have Banks Engineering.   :welder:  And I'm seriously drooling over photos of your beautifully crafted machines.  That kind of work can only be accomplished by technologically advanced people.

If you look at what young people are interested in nowadays, you'll realize they have to be up to date with the tools they'll be using when they graduate from school... And much of what they'll be living with hasn't even been invented yet.

If you go to >www.thingiverse.com< you'll see the types of things being printed.  Most everything is being done by young people, so it'll appear that 3D printers are something more akin to toys than a serious piece of equipment.  But that's not the case.

You can see what I've been doing at <http://www.thingiverse.com/LeftAngle<.  So far, I've been making things to improve the printer, but there are a couple of things more "usable".  My new project, of course, is the Europa, so it stands to reason I'll be using the machine to print parts more pertinent to this group's interests.  I'm working on the interior and engine compartment at the moment while I wait for the wheel spacers and my courage to arrive.  I also have to repair or replace one of the rims.  I'll try to keep the group informed of how I do things, successfully or not, as I stumble along.

Here's a better view of the only non-logo thing I've made for the car so far:  You can see how it directs the throttle cable up and over the valve cover as opposed to straight into it as the PO had rigged it.  I'm sure had he the ability to print something, what I just did would have already been done. 

btw... Am I the only Yank here? And what am I doing wrong that's causing my posts to time out and disappear into the ether?

Bruce

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
Think I figured it out... Post a reply and THEN add pictures.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »
This would be the perfect application for the mirror risers.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 01:39:28 AM »
Among other things, I've printed a new gauge pod, or whatever it's called.  It's laid out the same as the original with the exception that the gauges, engine and high beam lights are raised closer to the dashboard face.  The pod is still as deep as the original, but the gauges "float" inside it.  I've added the trip reset knob to the center as well.

I'm still trying to decide how I want to mount it.  I've made a trim ring for it, but I think it adds too much visual weight to the dash.  If the glove box had a trim ring as well, it seems to work, but I've decided to add a door to the box (which is no longer cardboard) and an interior light.

And thanks to Lotus Joe, we can add stl files now, so if you have access to a 3D printer, you can make one for yourself.

btw, I've decided how I'm going to mount mine.  I was hoping to figure out a simple way of mounting it from the front, but the advantages were far outweighed by the complexity of doing it that way, so I printed brackets for the back.  The corners don't match up with the wood perfectly, so there are gaps which need to be filled in.  This can all be done with a slurry made up of scrap plastic and acetone.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 10:25:55 PM by LeftAngle »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
Ah, so that instrument pod is different !  When you posted the photo about cleaning up the workshop I thought the indicator lights looked as if they were closer than on mine.  Quite a novel idea and another good example of what you can do with these new-fangled 3D toys.     Perhaps it's as well I haven't got one, I could see a lot of time being wasted......

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 02:27:12 AM »
hi Brian:

At first there is a lot of wasted time, learning the quirks of the printer.  but now, it's as if I have an employee that makes the things I draw up while I'm doing other stuff.  At the moment, it's printing the vents for the top of the crash pad.  One of mine was destroyed (another vacuum formed part) so I'm making 2 more, a little heavier and smaller.  They'll be done in a few hours... I check on it every once in a while to make sure it's not goofing off... :)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 02:34:31 AM »
I check on it every once in a while to make sure it's not goofing off... :)

:FUNNY:  great quote......      actually it's time I got started on something useful as well !

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 03:02:59 AM »
Thanks to Lotus Joe, we're able to attach stl files (an acronym for "stereo lithography").  Most of my stuff is drawn up for my own purposes, so the files have a lot of incorrect bits and pieces.  They print, but often there's a bit of work to do to clean them up to make them fit.  If people begin to use them, I'll take a little more time designing them.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 10:38:21 PM by LeftAngle »

Offline cal44

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »
This stuff reminds me of my buddy.....Mad Professor......who makes Porsche racing parts on his C&C machine.  I like talking to him to remind me how dumb I am.................. :FUNNY:
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »
A C&C Machine would be the ultimate Christmas gift... Think I'll put it on my list.  I wonder if my wife will get me one :)

I haven't fitted them yet, but here's the "other" vacuum formed part that usually goes south:

I'll put the file on Thingiverse later on this afternoon.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
I'd post the stl files of the parts I make, just in case someone can use them, but in order to do that, the forum would need to allow them  :help:

Until I can post stl files here, you can download this one at:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33034

Enjoy.
I've added stl and pdf.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)