Poll

Interest in buying seat frames

All 18 ga. CRS
All aluminum 16 ga (cost of material is 400% more than steel)
Composite of aluminum and steel

Author Topic: Lotus Europa TC Special Seats  (Read 10839 times)

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
Lotus Europa TC Special Seats
« on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »
Hi All;

In restoring a 1973 Lotus Europa and found that my seat had completely rusted away from the inside.  I check with Richard Banks and he only makes the S2 seats which are narrower than the TC seats and tracks do not line up.  So after peeling off the foam and upholstery, I found that the entire steel structure was just sheet metal panels.  So I decided to make them myself.  I drew up the 3D CAD for each panel and saw that it lent itself to allow you to just rivet the parts together.  This way the parts can be shipped relatively flat and indexed exactly where it should be by the owner.  You can weld the seat together after that, but I have to believe the rivets would be as strong as the spot welds originally used.  Anyway, I am going ahead with the project for myself and will be getting quotes from several metal shops to laser out the parts in 18 ga sheet metal.  I only need two seats, but trying to get a gauge if anyone else needs them.  This way I can get a better price by making more than just two.  I am not looking for solid commitments and not even sure if I can talk a sheet metal shop to do these panels, so just a show of hands of any interest.  The cost would be just the cost of the panels divided up by the number made, so not doing this to become rich, but just to make the seats for myself.  Let me know, Thanks Allan

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Lotus Europa TC Special Seats
« Reply #1 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »
Hi Allan,

I'm not in the market myself but admire your enterprise. 

If they can be riveted together (and it looks reasonable enough) then maybe you could get the larger flat panels in aluminium to reduce weight and future rusting ?  They'd also be lighter for shipping as well.   I'd keep steel for the bottom sections where it's bolted onto the subframe but Al should work for the rest ?

Brian

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #2 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »
Hi Brian;

Thanks.  I do get carried away at times when I can't find the parts I need and often tend to make it myself.  The latest thing I made was the speedo gear for the type 365 gearbox.  Tooling for just the gear ended up costing me $1,600 USD, but now I have one lol.  I made 16 but don't believe anyone would want one for upwards of $100 a piece.  The one thing I know is that you can't make money on your hobbies, so I don't even try.  Plus from what I have experienced with the Lotus community, they are frugal at best, unless you want to buy something from them :D . Hopefully I may be able to trade a few for other parts I need down the road.

As for the seats, I was thinking that as well, but made all of aluminum, maybe a bit thicker in 16 gauge.  Not sure if if there was any sort of DOT rules on shear strength, but I think the seats would be the last thing you would worry about in a shunt.  Plus aluminum is 4 times the cost of CRS steel.  I'm still working on the drawings, double checking the dimensions and ease of assembly (making sure all the rivet holes line up) but there is always a bit here and there from how it is drawn and how the metal is actually bent.  But like I said, its fun for me.  Almost as nice as finding that barn find under decades of dirt and trash.  Thanks again, Allan       

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »
Those speedo gears are really cool, Allan!!! You're probably right that you wouldn't be able to sell them but I would think it's more likely because other alternatives were found such as an electronic or GPS speedo. That's not to say I disagree with your point about buying & selling Lotus bits.

I'm anxious to see some pictures of your progress! Have you posted pictures of your car yet?

I also see that the website in your profile isn't there. It says it's The Lola Registry but it gives me a 404 error message. Sounds like you have/had a Lola... It would be nice to see pictures of that, too!

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #4 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
Try http://www.thelolaregistry.com/ or www.TheLolaRegistry.com it should work.  Scroll down to "Project Cars" and click, yeah, all those are mine, 22 and counting lol.  Click on the picture and you can see all the insanity I get myself into.  The Lotus Europa is not up yet, but you can see the 911 and the Elans.  Have fun, Allan

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 06:56:36 PM »
That's quite a collection! Back in the day, I had a T492 - nice car!

Yes, you're certifiable, but in a nice way! :)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 11:52:25 PM »
Wow, now that is what I call a collection.  I thought I was crazy about collecting toys but you're another 10 leagues above me !   ;)

I'm not into racing or track cars but we have similar taste in some other areas;  our shopping trolley is a Cayman 2.9 although I went for the PASM rather than the normal suspension. And our Elan also has adjustable suspension & rear CV conversion, but I cheated on the latter and bought the kit ready made.

I liked the GT6 article on Whisper Vinyl, that's a great result. I'd heard of the material and think it's got potential for a few Lotus parts, but so far I've not managed to find any UK suppliers. Now you've prompted my memory I ought to try again.

But boy, what a toybox.....

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,June 04, 2016, 12:25:43 AM »
I have been trying to buy a pair from Banks for ages, but they haven't appeared.

Put me down for a pair of aluminium ones, subject to cost.

Alex in Norfolk.

Online Grumblebuns

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,June 04, 2016, 07:16:15 AM »
Hi Brian;

Thanks.  I do get carried away at times when I can't find the parts I need and often tend to make it myself.  The latest thing I made was the speedo gear for the type 365 gearbox.  Tooling for just the gear ended up costing me $1,600 USD, but now I have one lol.  I made 16 but don't believe anyone would want one for upwards of $100 a piece.  The one thing I know is that you can't make money on your hobbies, so I don't even try.  Plus from what I have experienced with the Lotus community, they are frugal at best, unless you want to buy something from them :D . Hopefully I may be able to trade a few for other parts I need down the road.

Thanks again, Allan       

Alan,

I wouldn't write off those extra 365 speedo gears just yet. They are one of the few unobtainable pieces for the vintage Renault gearboxes. I'll bet that there a few people out there interested in obtaining a replacement or just having a spare. The only other person making spare speedo was Steve Veris. He produces a run of gears for the 336 gearbox every once in a while and they were not cheap either.

I'll need to check my PayPal account but I want to order two 365 speedo gears from you. I'll send you a separate email.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca 

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,June 04, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »
On second thought, Joji is probably right about the speedo gears. They are a weak point so even if yours hadn't broken, you might want a spare for when it did. I'd let people know (here and the yahoo group - maybe even Dave Bean and r.d. enterprises). You'd probably get some takers. Who knows, you may enter into a new business!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Monday,June 06, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »
I agree with Joji. Those 365 speedo gears could easily find new homes. I am definitely interested in keeping a spare on hand. Are they made of a good and compatible material? Have you been using one yourself? I am interested in knowing what it would take to get one.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline grnicholson

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 04:52:28 AM »
I bought a couple of very cheap 'sports'seats, stripped and chopped them to fit, welded them and had then reupholstered in the colour of my choice.  Total cost 500 euros for the two - same dollars.  Worth a go and you can do it locally.

Richard in sunny Spain, roasting in the heat................

Offline buzzer

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »
Yep, 365 speedo gear unit difficult to get so there is a market, not big but a market for them. Richard at banks does make them up as I have one on order with him. If I hadn't already got this underway, I'd be in the market for one of yours.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
I'll commit to 2 sets (4 seats).....as long as the pricing is reasonable.Thanks for your effort.

Not yet seated Me

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #14 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »
I have my drawings out for quotes right now, but not worried about price as much as anyone wanting to make them.  Small runs are pretty much hated by most shops.  I figure I am willing to spring for 20 seats which should take care of all those who wants one and whatever is left over I'll just keep for trading later.  Will post back when I get my first prototype done. 

On another note just popped the body off the Europa and frame is rust free, well at least no holes.  Looking at the seats I had, I had thought the car was underwater at some point.  I guess it was a interior leak that was never taken care of for decades.  But now to sandblast the frame and POR 15 it so it will last another 40 years.  Having so much fun, but have to remember to put the body back on without the doors, glass, and lids next time.  This sucker was heavy.