Author Topic: Europa Special 'Special' numbers  (Read 8872 times)

Online BDA

Re: Europa Special 'Special' numbers
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,March 20, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Federal Europa TC

My 2420R is a Federal TC with a big valve engine, Regency Red, Lotus alloy wheels, and a 4 speed gearbox.

Since I haven't seen your car, my statement is still true!  :)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #16 on: Sunday,March 20, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Too dark now to take a photo and post it !

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #17 on: Monday,March 21, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »
In a personal visit to Dutchess East the US distributor in Millertown NY before purchasing 2943r in 1973....I was told about one hundred "Badges" were circulated here in the states. I don't know how many each dealer got or what became of the rest. The decal on the sail was available, as I received two, during my purchase.

So you owned 2943R from new and it did not have a 'Special' numbered badge?

2943R was the 96th Black Europa Special for the US market (based on unit number sequence) so this helps confirm there was no specific order to these numbered badges and not all the first 200 black cars had them, hence me wondering if these badges were issued to other colours too?

Various colours were available from the start, not just black.

...2943R had a 352 4 speed...I put stickers on the sail panels..it was not commemorative...I bought her off the showroom floor.

This was a branding promotion...to honor the type 72 livery...the other colors do not apply.

As stated in BDA's link...The dealers preferred "ordered" vehicles then having inventory and high floor plan to maintain.
On any given day at the distributor there were only a handful of available Europas. Some centers that I personally visited like Tom's Pit Stop, La Monsa Motors and Marco's Competition had only one car...guess what?...it was black.   ld

Offline buzzer

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,March 26, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
JPS No 52 is in beaulieu with the badge in the outside above the special badge.
Black gold pinstripe of course.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #19 on: Sunday,March 27, 2016, 05:38:48 AM »
My wife always complains of my "pack rat" tendencies and how I can't throw any thing away. This topic of badges got me thinking of some documentation I received when purchasing my first Europa in 1973...Sure enough, I was able to find my original sale receipt and retail information from the dealer. In addition, I was given a retailer bulletin dated October 1972 and March 1973 indicating the various models to be offered and initial price list.

I hope these will help solve the riddle of how many commemorative specials were to be built. ld 
« Last Edit: Sunday,March 27, 2016, 05:42:01 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #20 on: Sunday,March 27, 2016, 09:05:43 AM »
Good info Lou, that looks pretty definitive proof at 100 black JPS cars, the others were clearly just plain jane "specials"   ;)

It sorta ties in with a vague recollection I have from the 70s, I had a workmate then who had a '73 or maybe '74 metallic Tawny Europa with pinstripes (a bit like Bainford's ? ) and he used to refer to it as a "Twin Cam Special" and I'm sure he said it was because of the big valve engine rather than the lower powered TC engine that's in mine.

Brian

Online BDA

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,March 27, 2016, 11:40:44 AM »
Very interesting, Lou! It's nice to get something like that in writing after all these years of rumors, memories, and guesses about the JPS Europas!

Your dealer had great prices. As a comparison, I've attached the bill of sale and the window sticker for my car. From the window sticker, you can see that the distributor where I got my car had a much higher opinion of my car than your dealer! And look at all the Standard Equipment!!!  :)  In New Orleans, I really appreciated the 'slow burn' vinyle interior! (actually, it wasn't slow enough for me!)

Offline 3929R

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,March 29, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »
Expensive radio!

Lou's invoice adjusted for inflation (CPI Inflation Calculator):
                                                1973   =>    2016
Europa TCS                             $6345  => $33,884
Mag Wheel &  low profile tire    $295    => $1,575
AM/FM radio                            $175    => $935
5 spd trans                              $375    => $2,003
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,March 29, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »
Andy...and to the community...

Some full page documents...I love the mention of "non-flammable"   ld
« Last Edit: Tuesday,March 29, 2016, 03:09:14 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,March 29, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »
It is really cool that you kept and were able to find these Lou! :trophy:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday,March 29, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
5 mph bumpers?

Online BDA

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday,March 29, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »
Yes, kind of. If I remember, the US regulations called for a maximum dollar amount of damage when hitting a solid barrier at 5mph. I think the next year (1975), the regulations increased so there could be no damage. Between the bumper regulations and the regulations for door beams, a redesign was called for which helped bring the decision not to continue building them and go with the more modern Elite and Esprit. The bumper actually works pretty well. I think what makes it work as well as it does is the bumper spreads the load across the entire front of the car.

Back in my feckless youth, I was tearing around a curvy road along Lake Pontchartrain (the lake north of New Orleans) after a minor hurricane hit the town. I didn't know it but behind a blind corner, the road was blocked with an aluminum barrier weighted down with sand bags. The barrier probably weighed 50 - 75 lbs and the sand bags probably weighed another 40 lbs. I applied the brakes when I saw it but I probably hit it going at least 35 mph. I closed my eyes and envisioned a rain fiberglass shards, but there was very little damage. There was a minor bit of 'warpage' in the bumper but the glass did not appear to be damaged. On the other hand, the barrier was pushed back about 10 feet and warped a bit and there was sand all over the place! It also made enough noise that a nearby cop came to see what happened!

Edit - added the year that regulations were to strengthen.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,March 30, 2016, 04:43:51 AM by BDA »

Offline LotusArchives

« Reply #27 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
Hi Andy,

Mine's just a TC so I can't be much help on this one, but are you aware of the Europa registry ? That has a list of the variants and you can pick out the TCS models ? (#40 is indexed for example)

http://lotus-europa.com/regspcl.html

The other place that might be worth a call is the Yahoo group although I'd guess there's more S1 & S2 versions there.

Brian

Brian,

Who is the contact for the Europa Registry? I am looking into the Black Specials (hence this post) and wonder where they get the original body colours from that they list against the unit numbers on the registry, i.e. where it lists original colour: L15 - Black Gloss is it actually the paint code from the car or some records?

I have come across a car that is black in one record but regency red in another ???

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #28 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »
Hi Andy,

I'm sorry I don't know who owns the registry but my first thoughts would be to contact Dan Morrison who took over the main website - Lotus Europa Central http://lotus-europa.com/index.html   

I'm sure some of the other guys on here will know if there's a better contact but if nothing else comes forwards I'd try Dan.  I think he also posts on the Lotus Europa Yahoo group email list and took over the knowledgebase towards the end of last year, so he's definitely "in the know".

The data in the registry comes from lots of sources AFAIK, mostly the current or previous owners adding in what they know about their own cars. I could easily see how there's discrepancies like you've found as the registry has been going for quite a while. For example someone buys the car and inputs the details then over the ownership it's resprayed, maybe just before selling. The proud new owner doesn't realise it's already registered and puts it in again, maybe not even realising it's been painted if it's been a bare fibreglass respray ?

Brian
« Last Edit: Friday,April 22, 2016, 09:04:30 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #29 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 02:49:25 PM »
Dan's email is:

danmo at yahoo dot com