Author Topic: Europa Special 'Special' numbers  (Read 8871 times)

Offline LotusArchives

Europa Special 'Special' numbers
« on: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
Hi,

I am doing some research into the numbered 'Special' badges some owners have on their early Europa Special. Has anyone created their own list or can members record their unit number, special number and location of the badge?

Thanks

Andy

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Europa Special 'Special' numbers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Hi Andy,

Mine's just a TC so I can't be much help on this one, but are you aware of the Europa registry ? That has a list of the variants and you can pick out the TCS models ? (#40 is indexed for example)

http://lotus-europa.com/regspcl.html

The other place that might be worth a call is the Yahoo group although I'd guess there's more S1 & S2 versions there.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 03:14:54 PM »
 :Welcome: Andy!

I think you're talking about the 'JPS Special'. It had a numbered badge on the dash. There was also a JPS sticker on each B-pillar. Other than that, they were no different from any other Europa with black with gold stripes. That being said, they are a desirable variant.

I don't know exactly where on the dash the badge was affixed. It could be dependent on the dealer as I think they were put on there - but I'm not sure about that. I did a google search for 'Europa JPS special' but it didn't help with the location of the badge.

You confused me for a while because there is a Europa Twin Cam Special that is distinct from the Europa Twin Cam - though I don't think they were very different.

Someone on the lotuseuropa yahoo group might be more helpful for the location of the badge.

Offline LotusArchives

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 17, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
Yes the black round 'Special 0**' badge. I have seen this on the fascia, the centre console and even now on the outside.

As these numbers were not recorded at Lotus, as you said it is very likely these were applied by either the distributor/dealer or maybe even handed to the customer to fit themselves, I am trying to build a better archive record of these cars.

As my user name says I am the Lotus Archivist, Andy Graham. :lotus:

Offline 3929R

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 17, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
 :Welcome:
Honor to have you here Andy.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 17, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
Hi Andy,

If you want to see any Europa TCS in the flesh, I have 6 in various stages of renovation, and I am only a 40 minute drive away from central Norwich, 8 miles East of Fakenham.

Cheers,

Alex in Foulsham, NR20.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Friday,March 18, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »
From what I've remembered over the years, there were only 200 Europa TCS with the JPS badge. I thought all were supposed to have the black paint scheme with gold pin striping and 5 speed gearboxes but have seen one or two supposed Europas with variations of colors and gearboxes offered for sale as a JPS. I was the former owner of JPS 188 and the only item distinguishing my JPs from the runoff the mill TCS was the black and gold JPS roundel affixed to the dashboard. My car did not have the JPS decal on the wings and I bought the car from the original owner.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Friday,March 18, 2016, 08:33:22 AM »
That's interesting that your JPS Special didn't have the JPS sticker on the B-pillar. The first Europa I owned was a 'demonstrator' from a New Orleans dealer. It was a 4 speed that was white w/gold stripes and it had the JPS sticker on the B-pillar. It was not sold to me as a JPS Special. In fact, I'm not sure that I had even heard the term at that point. I got my next (and current) Europa from the distributor in New Orleans. I used to hang around there and somehow I acquired a few of the JPS sticker. In case anybody is interested, I sent one to Ray at r.d. and he made copies to sell. I assume he still has them even though he doesn't list them on his site any more.

I'd be suspicious about JPS Specials that are not black/gold or 5-speed, but if they are genuine (I'm not sure how that could be verified except with an original bill of sale), it might be an indication that the dealers had a lot more control over which ones were JPS Specials than might be assumed. There was a lengthy thread on this subject a few years ago on the yahoo group and I thought somebody said he got some interesting goodies with his JPS like a jacket, bag, etc. I would expect that would be dealer dependent, too.  I'm sure it can be browsed with the knowledgebase.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #8 on: Friday,March 18, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »
If it came with one originally, the pillar JPS decal didn't survive the exposure to the hot southern California sun on my JPS over the years. 

In that Yahoo discussion, I do not recall anyone stating that their Europa came with that JPS designation on the factory window sticker. Like you said, I believe that the dealers were handed out the JPS roundels and other bits to designate a particular TCS as a JPS. Without that round black and gold JPS number on the dash, there is no way to prove that you have a genuine JPS.

I'm a bit puzzled how a TCS with a JPS emblem can command a price premium over a standard TCS without having any performance advantages. Not that I'm complaining, I got a very good price for my JPS when I sold it last year.     

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Friday,March 18, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
I'm a bit puzzled how a TCS with a JPS emblem can command a price premium over a standard TCS without having any performance advantages. Not that I'm complaining, I got a very good price for my JPS when I sold it last year.

I guess you'd have to chalk it up to sentimentality and a coolness factor!

Offline LotusArchives

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,March 19, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
Alex,

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that some time.

All,
I did read somewhere that the 'Special' was meant to be just that, a Special Edition, but it simply continued, so are you saying you have seen other colour Europas with the 'Special' roundal badge?

Yes I don't think there is any difference between a early Special that may have had the numbered badge and a later one. Also black continued as a standard colour to the end. I have read some early UK road tests and they only make reference to the JPS colour scheme, nothing about them coming with a numbered badge. Does any one have any early US road test reports?

I was not aware of JPS stickers on the B-pillars, sounds like a add on by the dealer possibly?

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #11 on: Saturday,March 19, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
http://lotuspals.ning.com/profiles/blogs/lotus-limited-and-special-editions-jps-europa?xg_source=activity

Guys,Try the above link...an old discussion that has no end.

Two hundred or so "commemorative" specials were initially constructed celebrating winning the 1972 F1 worlds championship.
The build dates started in December of 72 and ran for almost thirteen months. They were designated to have all available options...black interior,5 speed, alloy wheels, door sills and L15(black) with gold stripes.
No badges or decals...this was a dealer promotion. Some were first showcased for the UK using the Dellorto carbs and remainder with Zenith Stromberg for federal application. They were well received and more popular in the states...the decision was made to continue the remaining production of all "Specials" regardless of color to include gold pinstripes, sills, wheels and option oatmeal interior.
 Dealers handed out numbered badges as they saw fit...decals, lighters, umbrellas, jackets were also offered.

In a personal visit to Dutchess East the US distributor in Millertown NY before purchasing 2943r in 1973....I was told about one hundred "Badges" were circulated here in the states. I don't know how many each dealer got or what became of the rest. The decal on the sail was available, as I received two, during my purchase.

In conclusion...I can only say the two hundred badges was a promotion...If you got a black on black 5 speed and a badge you are golden...there was no difference in the vehicle. ld           
« Last Edit: Saturday,March 19, 2016, 01:58:34 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,March 19, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
I did a little browsing through the Knowledge Base and lotus-europa.com but didn't find the post I thought I remered that summarized what was known about the JPS Europa. I did find the Lotus Europa Wikipedia page which answers some of your (and my) questions:

Introduced in September 1972 the first 100 big valve cars were badged and painted to honour the just won Team Lotus's 1972 F1 World Championship title with John Player Special as sponsors, all with five-speed gearbox, these were all black with gold pin stripe matching the livery of the GP cars – plus a numbered JPS dash board badge, becoming the first ever John Player Special commemorative motor vehicles. The "Special" name and colour scheme was planned to be dropped after the first 200 cars, reverting to the Twin Cam name, but such was the reaction to the new car that the name and pin stripe scheme remained until the end of Europa Production although colours other than black were made available. In the end only the numbered plaque distinguishing the first 100 JPS cars from other black Europa Specials. According to Lotus sources, no Special left the factory with "numbered JPS badges" or "JPS stickers" - these were added by the American importer & weren't official done by Lotus. There were no "badged" cars sold in the UK, Australia, etcetera, just in the USA.

The source for this quote comes from an article on lotus-europa.com and appears to be what I was looking for all along! http://www.lotus-europa.com/jps.html

The curious thing is the quote from the Wikipedia article is in conflict with its source which said the JPS Europas were ordered from the factory. I tend to think the Wikipedia article is correct when it said the factory did not apply the badges or stickers mainly because no information on the JPS Europas seems to be authoritative.

I don't think I've ever seen a Federal Europa TC (as opposed to a Europa TCS. I thought I'd read a post during my browsing the Knowledge Base that the Specials had the silver valence panels under the doors, but the parts manual lists those panels for all TC variants. However, the Lotus Brand alloy wheels are for the TCS and Federal TCS. The valence panel and the  One curious thing I found is that there is apparently a different body shell for the Federal TC than the Federal TCS and both of those are different from the TC and TCS (non Federal). I'm guessing that relates to the headlight hight.

One more curious thing about the JPS Europa: a quick look through my copy of The Lotus Europa: Derivatives & Contemporaries 1966-1975 doesn't seem to mention the JPS Europa.

I hope that helps.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #13 on: Sunday,March 20, 2016, 04:09:17 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a Federal Europa TC

My 2420R is a Federal TC with a big valve engine, Regency Red, Lotus alloy wheels, and a 4 speed gearbox.

Offline LotusArchives

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,March 20, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
In a personal visit to Dutchess East the US distributor in Millertown NY before purchasing 2943r in 1973....I was told about one hundred "Badges" were circulated here in the states. I don't know how many each dealer got or what became of the rest. The decal on the sail was available, as I received two, during my purchase.

So you owned 2943R from new and it did not have a 'Special' numbered badge?

2943R was the 96th Black Europa Special for the US market (based on unit number sequence) so this helps confirm there was no specific order to these numbered badges and not all the first 200 black cars had them, hence me wondering if these badges were issued to other colours too?

Various colours were available from the start, not just black.