Author Topic: Dash Knobs Twin Cam Special  (Read 6122 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Dash Knobs Twin Cam Special
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,October 24, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »
That's a great plaque and really cool instructions on how to make your own! Very clever!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #16 on: Saturday,October 24, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
Wow. I'm struggling for words so I'll just say "I'm impressed", which is a somewhat of an understatement.  I don't know about the others here but as I said before, this sort of help is invaluable when doing some restorations and plaques such as you've shown on that thread are unobtanium unless you DIY.  That plate on lubrication is excellent, I've often wondered how they do those. Until reading that, I'd thought they may have been stamped in bulk but that process shows how small runs can be done.

Quite seriously I think a topic on the Tech Articles with maybe a download PDF would be brilliant and help a lot of folks now and in the future. I always struggle with printing topics for some reason and as I normally like to have a printed sheet in front of me as I blunder along, a PDF or some other document format that can be easily printed is very, very helpful.

Brian

1st stage started on my seat belt labels, I've asked the wife which is the thickest foil we have.  Answer ? we haven't got any.....   something else on this week's shopping list !

Offline 3929R

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,October 25, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Dean, That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time!!! Have you experimented with using any types of irons to heat transfer the PnP to the metal plate?
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline 3929R

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »
Thanks to Andy I now have a new headlight knob! :pirate:
Andy sent me the knob parts pictured in his earlier post. The dash knobs consist of a black plastic knob base, printed on aluminum image, clear plastic lens, and a black plastic ring that snaps onto the base and holds the lens in place. One of Andy's knobs was already apart and missing the lens and thin aluminum disk with image. This was good as it allowed me to see how the knobs are constructed. I took my cracked knob apart (breaking the black plastic ring in half while doing so). I was able to use the aluminum disk with image and plastic lens from my knob, and snap them into Andy's knob. After some 1500 emery cloth and plastic polish I now have a complete functioning knob that is good as new!

I would think that IF you can get any dash knob apart without snaping the black plastic ring, then you could mix and match the center image or print a new one on foil as HealeyBN7 described earlier in this thread.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #19 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
Good pictures Mark, I didn't realise how these things were made and so that post is going to be very useful I think.  For some reason I'd just thought they were glued together forever, now I know different.

It throws out some possibilities because often there are similar style knobs going on Ebay for far less than the very scarce and expensive "Lotus" ones, and the only difference seems to be the images themselves.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,November 05, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »
Very nicely done!  :trophy:

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #21 on: Friday,November 06, 2015, 02:09:28 AM »
Happy the switches finally made it, and were of use.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #22 on: Friday,November 06, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »

1st stage started on my seat belt labels, I've asked the wife which is the thickest foil we have.  Answer ? we haven't got any.....   something else on this week's shopping list !
A suggestion for heavy foil; try the disposable aluminum (aluminium?) foil oven liners. They should be available in most grocery stores, and are about as heavy as aluminum pie plate material, but have larger flat surface areas.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday,December 09, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
I thought I would revive this thread to say I noticed that r.d. will soon be selling reproduction head light knobs in case anybody is interested.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,February 09, 2016, 08:27:03 AM »
I thought I would revive this thread to say I noticed that r.d. will soon be selling reproduction head light knobs in case anybody is interested.

Looks like RD now has the reproduction knobs listed on his website, a little pricey though.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday,February 09, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »

Looks like RD now has the reproduction knobs listed on his website, a little pricey though.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

:I-agree:
"A little pricey"? At $69.00 for a knob, I would say, yeah that's a bit pricey.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)