Author Topic: Dash Knobs Twin Cam Special  (Read 6123 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Dash Knobs Twin Cam Special
« on: Monday,October 19, 2015, 02:25:25 PM »
I have been looking for some time for a replacement knob for my broken headlight switch. I ended up buying one for a Triumph TR-4. Not the same as the originals, so I also bought the dash light dimmer knob as well so at least the two will match. They are readily avail from Moss motors and a reasonable price of $6.50 each. I also had one from an MGB, but as you can see it is very different from the others. At least the issue is solved until I can find that NOS knob some day in the future  :confused:
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 20, 2015, 05:10:01 AM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline ezuskin

Re: Dash Knobs Twin Cam and some S-2s
« Reply #1 on: Monday,October 19, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »
I have a 3 position rocker switch for my headlights. Early TC 2068R
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 19, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
Joe,

If the issue to get a near perfect match is confined to the foil sticker and not the knob, then I may be able to make a few stickers for you.  Take a look at this link where I recreated foil stickers for my tractor. 

http://www.vintagemotoring.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2717

You will have to page through a 2 cylinder diesel engine rebuild, but near the bottom is the foil sticker posting.  Let me know if I can help.

Dean

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 19, 2015, 08:24:26 PM »
That's really cool!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 19, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »
Wow, I never even imagined that you could make such things with a home printer, those decals look just like the real deal. What adhesive/etc did you use to hold the tinfoil in place whilst it went through the laser ?

Brian 

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2015, 04:33:38 AM »
I have a 3 position rocker switch for my headlights. Early TC 2068R
Looks like this issue is confined to the Twin Cam Special. Thanks for the correction.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2015, 04:42:08 AM »
Joe,

If the issue to get a near perfect match is confined to the foil sticker and not the knob, then I may be able to make a few stickers for you.  Take a look at this link where I recreated foil stickers for my tractor. 

You will have to page through a 2 cylinder diesel engine rebuild, but near the bottom is the foil sticker posting.  Let me know if I can help.

Dean
In my case the issue is both. My knob is broken and I have not been able to locate a replacement. I'm ok with the Triumph knobs even if they don't look exactly the same as original. That's why I replaced both so at least they would match. With the Triumph knobs it looks like I could change the logo on the front. I will have to have a closer look to see if the clear plastic pops out  :confused: . If I was able to change the center logos then they would look exactly as original, and that would be cool.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline 3929R

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2015, 07:33:54 AM »
Thanks for posting this Joe.
I will have to have a closer look to see if the clear plastic pops out  :confused: . If I was able to change the center logos then they would look exactly as original, and that would be cool.
Please report back Joe. It would be great to be able to change the center logos. I'm afraid to try on my headlight knob as it is cracked but still marginally functional.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline buzzer

Re: Dash Knobs Twin Cam Special
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »
My TCS has a rocker switch for the lights. I need to check but I think the UK spec is different to the US spec. The warning light cluster is I know different  between the dials. UK round lights US rectangular

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline 3929R

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2015, 09:08:19 AM »
...Take a look at this link where I recreated foil stickers for my tractor. 

Those turned out GREAT!
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,October 22, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »
I have these, if they would be any use to you. Def. not NOS.

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #11 on: Friday,October 23, 2015, 11:41:39 AM »
Wow, I never even imagined that you could make such things with a home printer, those decals look just like the real deal. What adhesive/etc did you use to hold the tinfoil in place whilst it went through the laser ?

Brian

It is a pretty easy process.   

First I print on regular paper.  Once I know where the image ends up I use a bit of painters tape to hold the leading edge of the aluminum foil to the paper and feed it pack in.  That applies the image to the foil. 

Next I feed the foil through a hot laminator and laminate both sides. This gives it a little stiffness and ensures the laser won't  rub off.

The last step is to apply the adhesive.  The only adhesive sheets I can find that work are Singer Peel and Stick Sheets.  These are 5" x5" two sided peel and stick pads. This allows you to apply the adhesive and leave the backing in place just like a commercial sticker.

The very last last step is to cut of the sticker.  That can be the hardest part as straight lines look processional and crooked lines look poor.

If you think some pictures would help let me know.

Dean

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #12 on: Friday,October 23, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
I have these, if they would be any use to you. Def. not NOS.
Thanks Andy. I'm OK with the Triumph knobs. I don't think anyone would even notice except maybe a concourse judge.  :beerchug: I think I would get busted with a Zetec engine in the engine bay long before they noticed the knobs.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Friday,October 23, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
It is a pretty easy process.   

First I print on regular paper.  Once I know where the image ends up I use a bit of painters tape to hold the leading edge of the aluminum foil to the paper and feed it pack in.  That applies the image to the foil. 

Next I feed the foil through a hot laminator and laminate both sides. This gives it a little stiffness and ensures the laser won't  rub off.

The last step is to apply the adhesive.  The only adhesive sheets I can find that work are Singer Peel and Stick Sheets.  These are 5" x5" two sided peel and stick pads. This allows you to apply the adhesive and leave the backing in place just like a commercial sticker.

The very last last step is to cut of the sticker.  That can be the hardest part as straight lines look processional and crooked lines look poor.

If you think some pictures would help let me know.

Dean

Thanks Dean, I think I follow that. Ingenious is the word that springs to mind, I would never imagined you could use a laser on foil. This is the sort of info I think we need to preserve for people doing restorations because often getting hold of the correct decals is extremely difficult if not impossible. I'll be cheeky and say it would make a great article in the tech section  ;)

In fact I'm getting quite keen to have a shot at the process, I'll have to see what sort of foil we have kicking around.  I'd like to make the seat belt decals that were on some of the cars, I've gathered images but they don't look right on plain paper, not even laminated, so this idea sounds just the job.

Brian

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,October 24, 2015, 07:31:34 AM »
Brian,

If you think it will help, I'll go ahead and start another thread with a more detailed write up.  As I was restoring my Peerless GT I found that I needed to source some brass and aluminum makers plaques.  While I am working on the laser/foil write up you may be interested in this one as well...

http://www.vintagemotoring.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2466&p=18093&hilit=brass#p18093

Here is the plaque I run on the Lotus.  Sorry for the crappy photo.

Dean