Author Topic: Garage Lift for Europa  (Read 7086 times)

Offline 460384

Garage Lift for Europa
« on: Saturday,October 03, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »
I am planning to buy a lift for my shop, no height restriction (16 feet). But I would like to get a smallest footprint lift as possible. 4-post ones may be the best for Europa due to the structure of the car. Who makes a smallest one for 1500 lbs Europa cars?  Any suggestions.
Tom/Colorado

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Garage Lift for Europa
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,October 03, 2015, 07:23:31 PM »
Tom,

It doesn't make any business sense for any manufacturer to make a "small" lift. They want to make a product with the most application. I'm not saying that there aren't any small lifts out there, there may be, but why bother.

When I bought my 4 post lift, it only had one function, store my "excess" Lotuses. That eliminated all of the high cost, ALI certified lifts available. I purchased Chinese made Auto Lift, almost identical to the Direct Lift brand. With a 7k lift capacity, it is more than adequate to handle vintage Lotuses and am happy with my choice. One issue with probably all 4 post lifts is the track width of the runways. With my Elan currently stored on the lift, there is only about 3"- 4" of clearance between the inside edge of the tire and the edge of the runway. During an earthquake, the tire may slip off the lift.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/4-Post-Lifts-s/290.htm

I bought my lift from the company above.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,October 03, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »
Joji, you need a bigger garage!  :)

Offline 460384

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,October 03, 2015, 09:52:02 PM »
Thanks.  I thing you need another lift on the left side. So you can have more room to work on your cars.
Tom/Colorado

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,October 03, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
Oh boy, now that's what I call a toybox.....    :)

well done that man !

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,October 04, 2015, 08:42:23 AM »
If it is storage you are after, then probably a four post is what you should be looking for.  We bought a Greg Smith two post as I think these are a bit more useful for general maintenance and repair tasks.

I was a little unsure about putting the Lotus on the lift at first, but it is rock solid and well supported.  I am not using it for storage, but I have left it up there for a week or so.  I do have poly a-arm bushings.  It is so light that it takes the lift twice as long to drop to the floor compared at any of our other cars.

I waited years to buy a lift, and I don't know why.  Between my son and I we are practically fighting for lift time:)

Everything is easier on a lift.

Dean

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 07:05:21 AM »
As much as I prefer a 4 post lift in their versatility for both storage and maintenance, my next lift will have to be a 2 post. My current 4 post is located in the wing from the main section. To get cars in and out from the lift, I will need room to maneuver the cars around the small space. A 2 post lift near the garage opening will allow this.

Dean, it's nice to know that you have no issues lifting the Europa with your 2 post lift. Which brand did you get?

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca 

Offline 460384

« Reply #7 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 09:06:24 AM »
Dean,

I want a lift so I can work on the Europa.  How do you lift your Europa? directly on the fiberglass as showing in your picture (behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels)?
Tom/Colorado

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #8 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000kg-Manual-Fork-Lift-Warehouse-Stacker-1-6-m-lift-/111757280696?hash=item1a0540c5b8

Cheap. Lifts 100kg.

Looks to fit the bill to me.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
The forks look too short and close together to prevent damage to the body sills.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #10 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
I like working on a 2 post hoist much more than on a 4 poster but a four poster is nice for storage though it is nice to get a store vehicle with the wheels off the ground so it doesn't wreck the tires.  I haven't had my Europa on my dad's hoist yet but the fact that the fiberglass is bolted to the frame and you would be lifting the frame and engine weight on those bolts I would be skeptical of the lifting the car the first time to make sure it doesn't stress the bolts on the floor excessively.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #11 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 10:00:46 AM »
The forks look too short and close together to prevent damage to the body sills.

Spreader plates?

A wooden pallet?

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
... but the fact that the fiberglass is bolted to the frame and you would be lifting the frame and engine weight on those bolts I would be skeptical of the lifting the car the first time to make sure it doesn't stress the bolts on the floor excessively.
I know what you mean. I did see a picture (was it here?) where 2x4s were put between the pads of a lift so that the load was at least spread more. I've also seen pictures where there was no special accommodation and presumably, everything worked out fine.  Presumably, the S1 and S2s would be safer on lifts like those since the body is bolted to the frame at more places, but it appears that even a TC is not damaged by using those lifts. I think lifting from behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels (the jacking points) would be best.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #13 on: Monday,October 05, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
I know what you mean. I did see a picture (was it here?) where 2x4s were put between the pads of a lift so that the load was at least spread more...

I was thinking this same thing writing my first post but since I had never done it I wasn't sure how well it would work.  With my dad's hoist the height pads are big threaded tubes.  If I was try some sort of cross bar I would unscrew those pads and make sure any cross bar was positively attached to the arm of the hoist through the original pad wholes as a 2X4 doesn't give you any forgiveness if it slide forward or backwards.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Nick in Beds

« Reply #14 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 02:50:44 AM »
I bought a 2 post from Strongman Tools here in the UK - it is very well made and they were very easy to deal with, right up to delivery straight into my barn.

Bear in mind though, if you go for a 2 post you need good strong concrete under the posts - I had to dig my floor out to reinforce it as it was only 4" thick - it is 12" now  (4000psi) with rebar reinforcing 2m square around the post base (tied to the old base with epoxy resin / rebar).