Author Topic: eBay Aluminum Radiator from China  (Read 10599 times)

Offline E Paul

Re: eBay Aluminum Radiator from China
« Reply #15 on: Monday,July 20, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
What radiator fan switch did you use? I just bought one of these.
Paul Harhen

Online BDA

« Reply #16 on: Monday,July 20, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »
 :Welcome: Paul!

I thought I had posted about what I did for the fan switch in my aluminum radiator but I couldn't find it (maybe I was dreaming). I did find this from a post by jbcollier:
The alloy rad I have takes the euro-common standard 22 mm x 1.5 thread.  These are available in a wide range of temperature options from VW water cooled aftermarket part’s suppliers.  It has the fan switch on the hot side so I will be running a fan switch in the range of 185 - 190ish on and 175 to 180ish off paired with a 160 stat.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the same radiator you and I have but I don't remember the thread for the switch to be absolutely sure. I found that it took a switch from a Nissan Sentra - which is not to imply there aren't many compatible switches as jb states. I couldn't get the switch to turn on for me. Maybe because I screwed up... I don't know, but in the end, I got one of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN4XZI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00). I really like that it's adjustable and it worked after wiring it up the first time.

If you haven't gotten a fan yet, I can recommend this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038ZG0DK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00). It has the highest volume for its size and it nearly fits the radiator perfectly, but you will still probably have to have a minor modification made to the fan mounts on the radiator.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Monday,July 20, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
The original rad uses 22 mm x 1.5 thread.  The Chinese alloy rad has 16 mm x 1.5 thread.  Need a cooling fan switch in that size?  Google "rad fan switch 16 mm x 1.5".  Yes, it really is that easy.  Pay attention to the temperature rating!

Online BDA

« Reply #18 on: Monday,July 20, 2015, 06:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the correction, John!

Offline 3929R

« Reply #19 on: Friday,October 16, 2020, 08:57:06 PM »
I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask if anyone of you can provide a longer term review? Any problems?

Also, the original versions of these Chinese radiators had a 2-row core that is 62mm thick. Now 3-row, 86mm core versions are available. Is the thicker core needed? How much more cooling does it offer? What is the diminishing return for an additional row?

The original radiator has a thicker core, but are the new radiators more efficient with the thinner core than the original thick core?

I have one of the thinner ones but have yet to install it. However I'm now having overheating issues. Particularly on charges up long mountains passes at 8,000 to 9,500 feet, I've boiled over.  :confused:  I've also resulted to turning the heater on when cruising when it is near 100 F, not fun. I'm not sure if my original cooling system has gotten worse, or if I'm just driving my Europa harder and more often. Would it be worth upgrading to the thicker core before I swap out my radiator?

two row core-  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Row-Aluminum-Radiator-For-Lotus-Europa-Coupe-S1-S2-TC-1-5L-1-6L-MT-1966-1976/203067390864?fits=Model%3AEuropa%7CMake%3ALotus&hash=item2f47c27b90:g:GDAAAOSwAN9disQl 

Three row core-  https://www.ebay.com/itm/3row-Alu-Radiator-Shroud-Fan-For-Lotus-Europa-Coupe-S1-S2-TC-1-5-1-6-1966-1976/114245732654?fits=Model%3AEuropa%7CMake%3ALotus&hash=item1a9993892e:g:BDEAAOSwoAFe1ggx
The upgraded cooling fan also looks attractive.

(As a side note, I had a heat blocking clear "tint" applied to the inside of my windscreen/windshield and it is great at making the cockpit more comfortable, until I need to turn the heater on. This is something I wish I would have done sooner.)
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #20 on: Friday,October 16, 2020, 09:31:55 PM »
Go through the basics first:

- ignition timing ok.

- carb not set lean.

- coolant a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze.
(it's called antifreeze but it also raise the boiling point.  Can't remember when you last changed it?  Change it)

- rad cap ok.
(get it pressure tested as a higher pressure also raises the boiling point)

- coolant leaks.
(pressure test the system, water pump leaks common)

- coolant low. (air locks)

- rad baffle in place.
(coolant flows along the bottom then back across the top)

- thermostat opens at its rated temp.

- rad fan turns on at the switch's rated temp.

- rad fan running the right way. (pushing air through the rad)

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 05:15:19 AM »
In my experience, it's not usually the radiator, but the air flow through the radiator.  I live in Florida and my car has an ac condenser in front of the radiator.  My radiator is aluminum but I purchased it through a group buy.  I first put a Chinese fan in, held in with clips, as many of them are.  It would overheat.

I now have twin spal 9" fans mounter to a shroud,  i don't know I needed two, but it works.  I think the key is a shroud, which directs all the fan air through the radiator instead recirculating.
Fyi, I use a Hayden digital fan controller, whichI love.  The fan speed is variable, so they don't run full bore all the time.  The setpoint is variable as well.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 05:58:02 AM »
Now those are serious fans.  The large, thick blades will move a lot of air.  I'm going to see if I can do the same.  My system is "ok".  It never overheats but it does get hot in traffic with the AC on.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 06:49:17 AM »
Did some more digging and those fans are pullers.  Do you have them in the wheel well?

Offline Clifton

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 06:53:48 AM »
I'll second what Pfreen says about airflow. I'm using a Corolla radiator with factory twin fans. It would get a little warm, warmer than the stat. I made an aluminum shroud with the two largest Spal fans that would fit it and it brought the temps down.

Don't trust the CFM rating on Ebay fans. Go to Spals site.

Online BDA

« Reply #25 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »
I have had a Chinese aluminum radiator for six years and have no complaints.

It replaced a custom brass radiator made by a radiator shop that had made radiators for race cars. The guy at the shop said that the original Europa radiator I brought to him was obsolete and inefficient so I consented to have him build me a new radiator. It turned out to be thinner than the stock radiator but I didn't measure how much. I suspect by as much as 1" because he provided studs on the bottom to match the original's and I had to add a 1/2" spacer behind the radiator. If he put the studs in the center of the radiator, that would imply his was as about 1" thinner than the original. I don't remember having any trouble with that radiator either.

Unfortunately, I can't give many specifics about either of those radiators. I suspect that the aluminum one is the thickness of the original radiator only because the studs on the bottom mount it in the body so that a spacer is not required but it could be that they were just placed in the correct position. The 10" fan I purchased was from Amazon by CFR Performance. They claim 2000 CFM. My only complaint about my Chinese aluminum fan is that the mounting facility on it almost lined up to the mounting holes in the fan but not quite so I had to have that modified. As I say, I have had no problems with the fan or the radiator. I don't overheat.

If you're interested, I can take a measurement or two of my radiator.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #26 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
I bought a 2 row 62mm radiator in November last year (which I haven't fitted yet). The fan switch hole was tapped M18 x 1.5. I bought a brass adapter to to take this down to M14x1.5 to fit the fan switch I bought, all from ebay.  I waited till I received it before looking for fan switches, so I could determine the thread sizes.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 10:10:25 AM »
I also believe that maximizing airflow  through the radiator is key to maintaining adequate cooling in all traffic conditions. When I had my 73 TCS on the road, the stock radiator and fan managed to keep the engine cool during the hottest So Cal summer temperatures. Coming up to a traffic light, I would toggle my fan override switch to get a head start on the cooling before coming to a stop. As far as I remember, I never overheated with the stock setup, but you definitely kept an eye on the temperature gauge all the time you were stopped.

The stock radiator is a thick heavy 4 row brass/copper  lump about 2 -3/4” in width. The stock fan provided a lot of air flow through the radiator but there is also a lot of wasted air flow from the fan not making it through the radiator. The air  bounces back or across the front due to the high resistance from the thickness of the radiator.

A fan shroud should maximize the air flow through the radiator and I'm not too sure that multiple fans are needed. If the original 10” vintage fan was adequate for cooling the engine with a non-shrouded radiator, I'm thinking that a modern 10” high flow paddle style fan with a shroud should be more than adequate for the stock Europa.

Going back to aluminum radiators, has anyone developed a leak in one and tried to repair it? 

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #28 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 12:05:28 PM »
My fans are Spal pushers.  They also sell them as pullers.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #29 on: Sunday,October 18, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »
Thank you for the replies! Is there anything specific I should check or do for airflow through the radiator at speed? The nose is empty except for a bottle of spare coolant where the spare tire used to be.

Am I correct to leave the fan off, except at low speeds or in traffic? I've not observed any benefit to having it on at speed. It does work to keep my temp down when in in-town traffic.

Thanks for the check list John.

- ignition timing ok. --- I'll check it again. I have not checked it recently because the car has been running great.

- carb not set lean. --- I run rich, as judged by the plugs (and exhaust smell). I was set up at sea-level but the lowest point around here is 4,200'.

- coolant a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. --- Yes 50/50. Changed three times in the last 8 years, most recently this month. It had been about 5 years since the last flush and change. The car was in storage for about 20 years before being put back on the road in 2012. I doubt it was changed while in storage and the cooling system suffered from that. I have flushed the hell out of it using a garden hose and coolant system flush (the acidic stuff). The first flush was downright nasty! Subsequent flushes have been rust stained but with much less "sediment." Stainless transfer pipes are on my long term to do list.

- rad cap ok. --- The cap was new 8 years ago. With this flush I replaced the cap. Both were Stant, 7 psi. Is it worth testing a new cap?

- coolant leaks. --- No visible leaks. The coolant level stays constant (unless it overheats).

- coolant low. (air locks) --- I do believe this was my problem, but only one time. Bleeding this system is not so easy.

- rad baffle in place. --- Based on flushing the radiator directly, it seams water flows through the radiator before exiting. Is there a better way to check this?

- thermostat opens at its rated temp. --- I just checked my notes and I have not changed or checked the thermostat. I will do this. (The car does come up to temp and then stabilize, only over heating when ambient temperature is high or on long uphill hauls at speed)

- rad fan turns on at the switch's rated temp. --- My Otter switch does not seem to work but I have and use an override switch at the dash. I ordered a switch for the new radiator, but it is not the issue currently.

- rad fan running the right way. (pushing air through the rad) --- The fan seems to be effective at slow speeds in traffic. I turn it on and the gauge moves down or stabilizes. However at maintained speeds I generally have it off, thinking it would not do anything, or might even impede flow. Is this generally correct? My heating problems have been at higher speeds.

Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA