Author Topic: CNC machining projects  (Read 6623 times)

Offline BDA

Re: CNC machining projects
« Reply #15 on: Friday,June 17, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
I would think the rear brakes would generate a lot less force than the fronts. I would be careful for a while and make sure it works well.

I got one of Richard's kits and had to wait for it while he was finishing development on it. I wasn't sure how much development was needed - after all, overdesign it and it should work fine. His was one piece. I would guess it's about 3/8" thick and one piece so he found a BIG sheet metal brake. Never had a problem with them of course.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 03:49:49 PM »
Well guys I have a big announcement! I finally took the plunge and bought my own machine. It's a 1990 Kitamura Mycenter 4! It is an ex Pratt and Whitney machine that used to make turbine stators. A local shop had picked it up and was using it to run oil and gas parts. When the 30 position tool changer started to malfunction they decided to wholesale it instead of fixing it. Enter Charles....

As I was disassembling and loading this 20,000 lb Japanese monster on to the 18 wheeler I noticed that the wires running from the controller to the machine had rat chew marks on them...Luckily for me! After rebuilding the lube system, way wipers, replacing the y axis bearings, and painting the machine this thing is ready to make chips! I have actually had it for a little while, but I wanted to wait until it was ready to rock before saying anything. There are a few Europa parts I am going to start on including a rear disc conversion for my fleet. Madness is coming this way :)

The brake caliper bracket that I have pictured is a part I reverse engineered for Sports Car World. They have a customer who runs a Brabham formula B car and the old bracket had been damaged. It went well so I partnered with them to keep the mill there. I machined that bracket on the Haas at makerspace. My new machine is much larger and more stout.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 04:02:31 PM »
Chuck, you are the man! You could go into real business with that thing!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks BDA! It is going to be a lot of fun!! Plenty of crazy things to make!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 04:27:11 PM »
Woa! Talk about a major project......and a big learning curve. I am impressed Chuck.

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 05:03:49 PM »
Think we can talk you into making up aluminum alternator pulleys for a TC? new rear uprights? rear stub axles? new fifth gears and synchros for 365s?  ;D You'd be a hero!  ;D

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 05:53:31 PM »
I think you can :) I was actually thinking about cnc machining a rear upright. As soon as I get a replacement 4th axis I should be able to optimize the set up for minimal human intervention and thus a more cost effective part. I am very curious about 365 parts because I have one and it is locked up tighter than a pickle jar at a nursing home. With the 4th axis I can machine synchros. Helical gears will be trickier, but I am looking to try my hands at them eventually. They take a special set up. Spur gears are much easier to machine in my vertical.

I would absolutely love everyone's feedback about what they are interested in and what improvements we might make! I was very interested reading that stub axle wear thread. I found a good article about the stress analysis of the S2 hub. I tried to attach, but it is too large. I will have to dig up the link. I will need a CNC lathe to do stub axles effectively, but I have several friends who have CNC lathes, and if enough people are interested we could do that too!

Here is a picture of a rear hub that I helped to optimize the tooling for. It is for an offroad application, but the programming principles are similar to how I would set up the Europa part. We turn a 45lb block in to 3lb 3oz pretty quickly. The factory parts were having issues with side load on the bearings to the point that it was destroying the casting. Using wrought material solved that problem!

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »
Wow! I mentioned the 5th gear for 365 because I figured that would be a bridge too far. Then I wonder if anybody kept a broken 365 waiting for parts to become available (that's why I got an NG3). But for those who have them, I'm sure they'd breathe easier if they knew someone could produce new parts for it. Like I said, you'd be their hero!

On the other hand, there are some parts that are weaknesses (or would at least benefit from an enhanced safety factor or even a redesign - I like Andy's CV joint half shaft setup) on all Europas and addressing them.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
I know a few shops here in NTX that machine and grind helical gears. They take a special set up, but nothing is impossible :)

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,February 11, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »
Woa! Talk about a major project......and a big learning curve. I am impressed Chuck.

Thanks Certified!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 04:17:54 AM »
  What a great story about the deal of the century and a perfect match all ending and beginning in your garage. I laugh to myself when I’m making something with my drill press and grinders. Well you certainly went big , I guess everything is bigger in Texas and congrats with that.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 04:24:06 AM by dakazman »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 04:36:51 AM »
THAT is an awesome tool! I'm a machine design/CAD guy, but my machining skills are pathetic. A sailing buddy of mine bought a waterjet cutter for his business and I swear he has made more car and boat parts for friends than actual work pieces. It would be fun to engineer and create something like a rear disc conversion for group consumption. Congrats!
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 06:05:43 AM »
Thanks guys! I am talking with a company in the UK which offer a rally spec SVA compliant fixed caliper that incorporates a handbrake mechanism. They also offer an AP caliper that uses a similar mechanism on the inboard side (not SVA compliant). I think this could be an elegant solution to the problem and offer a decent weight reduction.

Offline gideon

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 06:34:22 AM »
Elegant weight reduction.  I like the sound of that!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 09:43:51 AM »
Here is a period brochure with the specs on my machine if anyone is curious

https://www.sterlingmachinery.com/media/brochures1/file/KITAMURA-MYCENTER-4-5-VERTICAL-MACHINING-CENTERS.pdf