Author Topic: TCS tire size  (Read 2194 times)

Offline 2766R

TCS tire size
« on: Wednesday,August 23, 2017, 06:56:59 AM »
I've perused, via the search feature, previous postings on this topic.  I would like some input / confirmation on the use of 185/60-13 and 205/60-13 tires front and rear, respectively on the TCS alloy wheels.  Previously (30+ years ago - yikes!) I replaced the tires with 205/60-13 Phoenix Stahlflex 3011 (totally no longer available) on all corners.  Only issue, IIRC, was some minor rubbing on the inside left wheel well at full left lock.  I believe at the time, as now, there was no 195/60-13 available maintaining the 10mm original difference in front to rear tread width.  Also the theoretical tire diameters of a 185/70-13 and a 205/60-13 are ruffly similar, the 205/60 is ~ .5" < the 185/70 or about 2% less according to my calculations:
205/25.4 x .6 x 2+13=22.7     185/25.4 x .7 x 2+13=23.2     23.2-22.7=.5     .5/23.7=.02   
Since my TCS is nearing completion of recommissioning at Ragtops and Roadsters, a replacement set of tires is now at hand.  The tires I'm considering are Federal SS-595. BTW, you can't beat the price!
I've read somewhere on web reviews that the width of the 595s tend to be more than other brands of the same size, hence my reluctance to use 205s on the front.
The real question here is 20mm (as opposed to original 10mm) difference in tread with and resulting tire diameter going to be acceptable?  My concern is handling and breaking.
Any thoughts, suggestions?   

Offline racurley

• My very slow rebuild thread
Re: TCS tire size
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 23, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
I don't know the answer to your question but this is what I just pulled off my 74 TCS

Front:  175/70R13
Rear: 185/70R13

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 23, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
Fond memories of the Stahlflex 3011s on my TCS, still have them on the front as rim protectors. A couple of years ago, had the Nexens 185/60R/13s on all four corners of my TCS (since sold).

You can probably find budget tires in 185/13 and 205/13 sizes but why bother, you're driving a Lotus. For performance tires,  only the Toyo R888s were available and probably still are.

Poking around the internet found these Yokohama A048s from Vulcan tires for a very good price. Haven't check availability, may be old pricing.

https://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi

Choice comes down to how hard you drive your Europa and type of climate you live in. I live in Southern California so have year round good driving weather. Let us know what tires you choose.

Offline 2766R

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 24, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
I'm really on the fence with this.  At the end of the day I might as well go with the original sizes, i.e. 175/70-13 and 185/70-13.  These sizes are available in H speed rating but not from traditional manufactures.  I'm also tempted to use the existing 3011's as they have plenty of tread and aren't cracked.  The age has me worried though.
As far as how hard I'll be driving my TCS, certainly not as I had in my youth, not going to see triple digits on the clock as often http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/Smileys/default/wink.gif.  That's not to say some spirited driving from time to time (and certainly not with my wife in the Europa!).
Actually, I would like to hear what others are using, especially from those who are pleased with their selection / results.

Thanks to all for your comments,

Gerry   

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 24, 2017, 07:05:02 AM »
For road use there is no need for temperature finicky, "road-legal", race tires.  Today's mini-van tires are far better than what they had when they were new.  The one important thing is that the tires MUST be true.  There isn't enough rubber in the Europa suspension to hide an out-of-round, or true, tire.  Make sure you can watch the tire spinning on the balancer and reject any that are not spinning true.  I have Michelin mini-van tires on mine: 175/70HR13 Defenders.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,August 24, 2017, 07:34:38 AM »
I'm really on the fence with this.  At the end of the day I might as well go with the original sizes, i.e. 175/70-13 and 185/70-13.  These sizes are available in H speed rating but not from traditional manufactures.  I'm also tempted to use the existing 3011's as they have plenty of tread and aren't cracked.  The age has me worried though.
As far as how hard I'll be driving my TCS, certainly not as I had in my youth, not going to see triple digits on the clock as often http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/Smileys/default/wink.gif.  That's not to say some spirited driving from time to time (and certainly not with my wife in the Europa!).
Actually, I would like to hear what others are using, especially from those who are pleased with their selection / results.

Thanks to all for your comments,

Gerry

Being a victim of a sidewall blowout on my Suburban from running 10+ year old tires,  I would be extremely wary of running even older tires. I believe the Phoenix Stahlflexes ended production in the late 80s. This makes your tires about 30 years old? Unless you plan on just driving around the block a few times, I wouldn't advise driving the 3011s on the road.

When I asked how hard you drive your Europa, I wasn't referring to straight line speed but how you like to take corners. I live in an area with lots of curvy mountain roads perfect for sports cars so for me tire grip is most important so I elected to go with the DOT track tires. Choose tires based on how you intend on driving the Europa. 
« Last Edit: Thursday,August 24, 2017, 07:39:01 AM by Grumblebuns »

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 31, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
I would run the same size all around. I don't think it's worth the headache of running staggered tires. The Federal 595s have been good tires for me. I have run many sets on a BMW 2002 I race in 24 hours of LeMons. I currently have a set of Yokohama A-008s, but sadly that tire is no longer made in 13 inch.

« Last Edit: Thursday,August 31, 2017, 05:09:27 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)