Author Topic: Lotus F1 "The tobacco years" type 72  (Read 43861 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Lotus F1 "The tobacco years" type 72
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday,February 14, 2018, 05:25:20 AM »
A little early but that just means we can celebrate his birthday for ten days!

One of my favorite drivers. RIP, Ronnie.

Offline Roger

« Reply #136 on: Wednesday,February 14, 2018, 05:28:18 AM »
Superswede.
Dramatically fast in a 72 at Silverstone in '73.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday,February 14, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
A little early but that just means we can celebrate his birthday for ten days!

One of my favorite drivers. RIP, Ronnie.

BDA...Fat finger typo...2/14/44

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #138 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »
1972 Monaco...
It was the  30Th running at the principality, with Jean Pierre Beltoise taking his first and only victory in the BRM P160B.

Saturday's qualy had Emerson on pole at 1:21.4, but with wet weather on race day the twelve cylinder cars of Beltiose starting 4Th, and Jacky Ickx in the Ferrari had the advantage. Fittipaldi would hang on to finish third, with the top three all on Firestone rubber.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday,April 18, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
A special Birthday remembrance for Jochen Rindt, born 4/18/42 in Graz Austria.

His sensational 70's posthumous championship run starting in Monaco with the 49, and culminating with four consecutive victories in the type 72. The Dutch, French, British and German blitz simply outpaced his rivals. When the teams departed that fateful day at Monza, his total points (45) were enough to secure the title with Canada, US and Mexico yet to be run.
 His wife, Nina, of just three years, was presented the drivers trophy by Jackie Stewart.   
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 18, 2018, 01:48:46 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #140 on: Wednesday,April 18, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
RIP Jochen... How sad for his wife, Nina, who was had expressed a desire for him to end his racing career.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #141 on: Thursday,April 19, 2018, 09:40:34 AM »
Sad circumstances indeed. R.I.P. Jochen.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #142 on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »
Gravity in action...
Did you know Texaco and Shell also made a great aftershave cologne if you weren't care full.

Offline BDA

« Reply #143 on: Sunday,April 29, 2018, 05:37:58 AM »
Hopefully they didn't end up wearing any! You would never see a nasty looking funnel like the one above John Miles' head today!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #144 on: Monday,April 30, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »
Peter Warr standing by with a fire extinguisher, at the ready, so no worries.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday,May 09, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »
A weekend of emotions...

Driving up to the Glen on the Tuesday before the race with my buddy Vince...

In his 59 Chevy Nomad wagon we arrived to find the track deserted and pondered where to park and claim our territory. Since Vince had never been or seen a GP before, I decided to have him occupy outside the last right hand corner to see the the pit entrance and main straight. "This will be perfect" we get them coming and going, slowing to hail the pits and the start from behind. We settled in for a long five days of "roughing it"...

On Wednesday things started to stir, a few cars and campers but mostly folks to set up the infrastructure. Lots of power, phone, water trucks and guard rail mending.

Thursday morning we awakened to the sounds of the Kendall garage coming to life, we headed over to find the Ferrari team transporter unloading. The Italian greeting of "hello, how are you guys doing" worked perfectly and in ten minutes we were helping them with tires, wheels and some spare parts to be moved and sorted.

We hung around most of the day, watching the teams begin assembly and set up their cars. A few drivers appeared in the afternoon...Merzario. Peterson, Stewart, Hulme, Revson and James Hunt. Everyone, including all the mechanics were super friendly, and were amazed on how laid back and how sincere everyone was.

A walk of the ever filling track ended our long day, and thoughts of a campfire and hot meal well deserved.

I'll skip Friday aside the fact we got to see the cars driven in anger...The sights, sounds and smell of race fuel exhaust likens the senses to a all consuming drug wanting for more.

Saturday came, and in hindsight, I wish it never did...

I remember everything going quiet, you could hear the wind blowing through the trees...then the loud speaker crackled that the session had been stopped. Word spread that there had been an accident on the uphill section and it was Cevert.

We made a beeline back to the garage, there was a crowd around Jackie and Ken, we could not get anywhere near them. Stopping in front of the Lotus stall I saw Emerson sitting alone, his hands covering his face. The worst had happened.

A pall fell over the entire circuit, no one spoke, only long faces were our end to what was to be that Saturday. We took to the track later that evening, out to the spot of the incident, to try find some closure and some understanding of what could have gone wrong.   

Sunday came and the news that Stewart would not drive, in what was to be his 100Th and last Grand Prix, the team decided to honor Francois, and in respect, not participate.

We were treated however, to a ding dong battle of Peterson, Hunt and Reuterman, who for most of the race rotated in lock step mere seconds apart from each other. Ronnie held on, capturing his 4Th victory for the year in the 72 for Team Lotus.

Offline BDA

« Reply #146 on: Wednesday,May 09, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
That must have been a very bitter-sweet weekend!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #147 on: Monday,May 14, 2018, 09:06:19 AM »
A pretty heavy time, but quite the experience, nonetheless.

Trevor

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #148 on: Wednesday,May 30, 2018, 01:57:51 AM »
But this week I watched a dvd my wife bought me at Christmas (I'm kinda slow with such things) all about Jackie Stewart and his attempt at Monaco in 1971, which is roughly in the Tobacco Years theme.
It's called "Weekend of a Champion"  with Jackie Stewart & Roman Polanski, issued by Universal films.
Brian

I bought and watched the DVD after having read your recommendation. I really enjoyed watching it. That was a pretty cool but incredible dangerous period of car racing. And far less commercial than today. Many thanks for posting  :beerchug:

Klaus

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday,July 04, 2018, 04:11:21 AM »
I had to do a double take...forever searching the web for pictures, I came across a couple of shots of the 72 that have me quite baffled. In the long development cycle of this outstanding chassis, modifications to the frontal bodywork and brake cooling are clearly evident. Early versions of the two front brake cooling exhaust humps were retained throughout, nose intake ducts to further cool the inboard discs were later introduced and then disappeared.

The last two shots...Jim Crawford (R5) in Italy and Brian Henton (R9) at the race of Champions during the 1975 season show additional changes to the side bodywork just outboard of these ducts. I remain curious as to what purpose it served and can only verify that it was used in only these two particular instances. I could not find further photographic proof that this modification was continued.

My best guess is that these outer orifices were installed to increase the amount of airflow into the rotors...were they the introduction to the "blown" devices we see on today's F1 cars?   

Any insight from the group?

« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 04, 2018, 04:24:21 AM by Lou Drozdowski »