Author Topic: Rear Brakes  (Read 1055 times)

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

Rear Brakes
« on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
HI:I finally isolated my defective brake line and ran a new line(not the easiest thing in the world considering I don't have the body off).
This was done by cutting a 2.5inch x 4 access port in the fiberglass directly above a fitting.
Of-course this leads to the next issue :the rear wheel cylinder(seized and corrupted) that the line was feeding.
I have a spare cylinder (a surprised gasp from the readers)but I don't have the two retaining clips that interlace behind the plate to hold the cylinder in place.
Are they GT6 /Triumph issue?
I did some research and I know that the drums are not GT6's but thankfully they are good to go.
Thanks for any info on my retirement project.
Bernie

Offline BDA

Re: Rear Brakes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
According to the Golden Gate Lotus Club x-ref list (http://www.gglotus.org/ggpart/europacr.htm), the rear wheel cylinder rebuild kit is from the GT6 (oddly, it doesn't list the cylinder itself as coming from the GT6!). That implies to me that the keepers are also from a GT6. There are several similar wheel cylinders and I'd bet that they all have the same keepers. A call to Dave Bean or r.d. enterprises would confirm this.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
Please change both wheel cylinders as that is good practice with brake repairs as it helps keep things balanced side to side. The same clips and rubber boot were used in TR6s, Spitfires and GT6s.  Any British Sports Car supplier should be able to help you.

Also remember that Europa brakes are a mix and match of components.  So, while the brakes are similar to those on a GT6, there may be different wheel cylinder bores and (possibly) brake shoe material.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,September 17, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
HI:Once again Thanks for all the good advice.I happen to have 2 spare cylinders so I will be following the replace both sides advice.
There is a British car place down in Oakville which I will go and bother on Monday and see what happens.
Thanks again.
Bernie