Author Topic: Gear Change  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Bodzer

Re: Gear Change
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,August 31, 2017, 06:38:22 AM »
Hi Joji,

It's Part #18. Thanks in advance. It doesn't need the plate for the reverse light switch as it is already in the transmission casing.

Regards,

Pete

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,September 02, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
I managed to get some more photos before the expected heat wave hits later on this morning. The actuator (part #18) doesn't look that difficult to reproduce. One measurement I didn't get was the length of the base of the "flag" section of the actuator. I don't believe it is that critical.

I was going to take pictures of the actuator on my spare wrecked S2 but saw that it had the later style shift linkage. I've attached a picture of that linkage for comparison.. 

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,September 02, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
Hi Joji,

Super! That's just what I needed. Thank you very much. 

All best in the heatwave. Not something we have to worry about too often here!

Regards,

Pete

Offline johnmi

« Reply #18 on: Monday,September 04, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »
Sorry been away again, I agree that the shaft has been shortened so I have cut it on the weld and will get some tube, weld the gearbox end to the tube and get the gearstick vertical and then weld the the end that comes from the gear stick to it. Thanks for the post about the linkage, mine was hitting the frame until I adjusted the linkage to the dimensions in the manual. I can post the dimensions of the one I have fabricated,  I wouldn't use the dimensions from the one that came with it as somebody has taken a hammer to it, tried to straighten it but it was passed saving. Just to mention that before I got into the linkage the shaft that goes into the gearbox was rusted and stiff to turn so after trying to free it up for a few weeks I removed the rear casing and found the shaft all rusted and the internal spring broken, sent it off to Richard and Banks who replaced the shaft and spring for me which took a while as the spring are like hens teeth, might be worth checking while you are at it. Also got a new stabiliser with the rose joints from him.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 06:02:21 AM »
I'm following this thread with interest because I've just connected mine up for the first time in 35 years. I've noticed that, at the moment its very hard to consistently select gears and I have no idea what gears I have selected when I do get one. I haven't driven the car yet so I'm hoping that it will ease up with use, however i did just want to ask, how tight are the bolts supposed to be on the linkage? I'm assuming that if I over tighten them that the mechanism will be difficult to use?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #20 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
That is exactly when I am at, and the same conclusion about bolt tightness.

Gearchange very stiff, no idea what gear selected.

I will ease off the gearbox side mounting bolt and see if that improves things.

Offline johnmi

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,September 14, 2017, 12:53:30 AM »
Update on gear linkage,

I have extended the shaft by 20 mm by sliding a tube over the originals and welding it on, so now it is 1020 mm full length, i get all the gears but reverse is a bit hit and miss it feels like it could do with a few more millimeters on the length, i get it most times but there is the odd time it misses and will not quite go in. All this is done without the engine running so next week i will fire it up and see if that makes any difference to the selection.

Thanks for all the replies