Author Topic: Rear Brake Flex Hose fittings  (Read 1095 times)

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

Rear Brake Flex Hose fittings
« on: Sunday,July 23, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »
HI:This all started with what I thought was a faulty MC.After much hoisting, twisting and general groveling I find that the brake pipe going from the right side around to the left side has a small rotted out section right where its routed back around the engine.I plan to reroute a new pipe but before all that I have to remove the fittings at the frame /rear trailing arm(with the body on the frame).
What is the best way to access the area as I need two wrenches on the pipe/flex fitting and tight quarters is an under statement?
I have include two pics to remind you folks how much fun you had when it was your task.
Everyone has been very helpful on this retirement project of mine and thanks.
Bernie

Offline FranV8

Re: Rear Brake Flex Hose fittings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,July 23, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »
I've just dismantled the rear suspension on mine for refurbishment.  It isn't that difficult to drop the trailing arm, and then cut the hose (yes, I did vandalise it that badly), of course you're replacing it too so the same approach would be valid.  I then cut it off the trailing arm with a slitting disk (leaving the bracket alone)

That gives you best access for removing old, using stubby spanners on a clean hose perhaps gives more chance of sorting it, just before you refit the pivot bolt.

I'm doing a Banks rear disc conversion, so I don't have the same challenges of refit, but will need to add suitable brackets to mount the long flex hose.  Hope it goes well for you!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,July 23, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
Hi Bernie,

The last time I had that job I did pretty much what FranV8 has suggested; with the car on axle stands under the rear legs of the chassis. undo the front of the arm and let it drop downwards. Make sure to keep all washers/spacers in their original place because that sets the rear tracking.  Then cut the hose and let the arm drop away to give you good access.

It's still going to be tight when you're fitting the new hose but at least this time everything is clean and new, so stubby spanners with the arm still not bolted in place is good enough access to get the job done.

Brian

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #3 on: Monday,July 24, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
HI:Thanks for the advice.
How does this sound:
Right above the upper most brake flex connections one sees a threaded screw.Its part of a threaded wire loom support.I have a Hermes kit on the car so the cooling tube that would be right above has been replace by a flexible universal one(see pic).
Why can't I cut a access port(in the fiberglass) right above the two fittings about where the threaded screw is coming out?I would replace the loom support and get a 2" by 4" rubber access plug when done.
Has anyone done the"access" thing?
Thanks
Bernie

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,July 24, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »
Dunno about S2s and TCs but I cut access holes in my S1's undertray.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Monday,July 24, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
HI:Thanks for the advice.
How does this sound:
Right above the upper most brake flex connections one sees a threaded screw.Its part of a threaded wire loom support.I have a Hermes kit on the car so the cooling tube that would be right above has been replace by a flexible universal one(see pic).
Why can't I cut a access port(in the fiberglass) right above the two fittings about where the threaded screw is coming out?I would replace the loom support and get a 2" by 4" rubber access plug when done.
Has anyone done the"access" thing?
Thanks
Bernie

Bernie,
That sounds like it should work.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #6 on: Monday,July 24, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »
HI:Thanks for the get backs.
Now with a renewed positive attitude (and the correct tools) I will go at it again when we visit the father-in-law on the farm!!!
I soaked the fittings with some penetrating oil when I was there this past weekend as they are going to need some persuasion!!!
Bernie