Author Topic: Help to identify engine!  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Sunbeam Fanatic

Help to identify engine!
« on: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
Hi All,

I'm just starting to decide the direction of my Europa's restoration (1970 S2 - 54/2217) and I hope you can help by identifying the engine currently in the chassis.

When I bought the car I was given (what I was told is) the original engine in pieces and was told the engine in the car was another Renault unit (I believe the gearbox to be the original), it would be great if anyone can advise what it is, what it's out of and if it's worth retaining.

The attached photo is the only number/tag I can find on the engine, I hope it's enough to ID the motor.

Many thanks,

SF

Offline BDA

Re: Help to identify engine!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
 :Welcome:  Sunbeam Fanatic! Sorry I can't help you with your question. I'm sure there will be somebody here who can. Hopefully you can post some pictures and tell us your plans for your car.

"Sunbeam Fanatic" is an unusual name to use on a Lotus Europa forum, but I'm sure you'll find we're broadminded here!  ;D

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Usually the cylinder head, and the top rocker cover would help identify the engine.

More photos please.

Where are you located?

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
697-04-1850 is most likely the original motor for the car.  The cars on the Europa registry either side of your car have engine numbers that are close.  Though it does appear that Lotus put what ever motor at the front of the pile of motors in the next car on the production line.  Meaning, the car numbers are consecutive, but engine numbers weren't. 

Also, the original engine number should be on the VIN plate.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 11:57:28 AM by RoddyMac »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
Though it does appear that Lotus put what ever motor at the front of the pile of motors in the next car on the production line.

I am told by ex-Lotus employees, that if you buy an ex-development car, you have absolutely no idea of anything that may be on the car, engine, gearbox, suspension etc. You just hope you get a good one. They are apparently sold off cheap, but too risky for me.

Offline Sunbeam Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »
:Welcome:  Sunbeam Fanatic! Sorry I can't help you with your question. I'm sure there will be somebody here who can. Hopefully you can post some pictures and tell us your plans for your car.

"Sunbeam Fanatic" is an unusual name to use on a Lotus Europa forum, but I'm sure you'll find we're broadminded here!  ;D

Hi All, picture attached of the car as I was moving it from temporary to permanent storage, it had been unused for many years and I reckon I could fold the chassis in half myself there's so little of it left! I currently live / work in Saudi Arabia and promised myself that the Europa would be restored as a benefit of working out here! So I'll be project managing this restoration from afar. I'm still deciding on the direction of the restoration, RestoOrig or RestoMod ........

Sunbeam Fanatic is because since I was 19 (I'm 48 now) I've always owned one or more Lotus Type 81's .........
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 12:50:14 PM by Sunbeam Fanatic »

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 19, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
Ah... THAT Sunbeam! (actually, I had to look it up)  ;D

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Friday,July 21, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
As above, check the engine number on the chassis plate to see if they match.

Offline 46lotus

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,July 27, 2017, 10:48:59 PM »
697 04 was the original engine for the S1 europa,   1470cc and siamese intake valve (no divider between the 1/2 and 3/4 intake valves).  Neither is a desirable feature.