Author Topic: I've decided to go with the Zetec engine conversion!  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Runningwild

I've decided to go with the Zetec engine conversion!
« on: Saturday,May 13, 2017, 09:11:25 AM »
after carefully and thoroughly considering the  Toyota and cross flow project I'm now going with the zetec engine for my 68 S2. I have a rebuilt NG3. From reading all the posts here I will need a ford twin cam bell housing.  From those that have done the project, which Zetec is the one to use?  Some posts say the 2nd version is easier but the 3rd version is more plentiful. I found the 2 company's in England that supply many of the parts.  Does the ford bell housing use the cable clutch as I have already installed the banks twin brake cylinder pedal assembly.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tom

Offline BDA

Re: I've decided to go with the Zetec engine conversion!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,May 13, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
I think the Zetec is probably the best engine swap for the money. I don't have one, so I don't think I could mention anything you haven't already thought of in terms of difficulties (motor mounts, headers, access door in the firewall, etc.). You have your choice between injection or Webers. A buddy of mine is building an S2 with a Zetec. I don't know if he's gotten past all the complications. He's a member of this forum but I don't remember his handle and he's not very active. I'd be glad to hook you two up. He has a very nice set of headers that he had made in England. If you're interested, I would imagine another set would be less expensive for you since he sent them all the measurements. I've attached a couple of pictures.

Good luck. That should be a nice project!

Offline skoolsen

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,May 14, 2017, 12:52:38 AM »
Go for Zetec😀
It comes in two basic versions, silver top early and late and black top. There is also a variable cam version of the black top.
Some of the outer differences is in oil filter location, water pump, oil pan and cam belt configuration Both can be used in a europa with a remote oil filter adaptor.
Use the stock clutch cable and make a bracket on the left motor mount for it.
You can still buy new black top crate engines for around 700 Pounds in England.

I would go for the black top, it is the newest and has mechanical valve lifters.

Magnar
« Last Edit: Thursday,May 18, 2017, 01:03:36 PM by skoolsen »
0581R

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,May 14, 2017, 01:49:46 AM »
I think Dean/healybn7(?) uses a hydraulic clutch system in his Zetec conversion.  Poteats rebuilding service/ Salisbury, NC offers various Zetec rebuilds. I bought a '02 blacktop, 60k miles, for $350.
I've a stock manual fly wheel if you need one.

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,May 17, 2017, 02:26:58 PM »
Hi.   This is Dean - HealeyBN7.  Yes I am using a hydraulic slave, but that was driven based on my desire to move to a hanging pedal assembly, not the clutch actuation. 

I think you will be very pleased with the Zetec conversion.   I documented some of the changes in the attached file

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lotuseuropa/files/Zetec%20S2%20Wiring%2C%20Fuel%20Injection%2C%20OMEX%20600%2C%20MegaJolt%20Manual/

and wrote about some of the work on this local forum:

http://www.vintagemotoring.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1534

We are taking the car to an autocross session in a week.  Should be loads of fun.  All I have to do is beat my friends hot MGB and my son and I'll be in heaven.

Please do reach out with any questions.  I bought my 2001 Zetec with 30,000 miles for $300.  It looked like new inside.  I then sold off enough Ford parts (manifolds, valve cover, AC, alternator, etc) to pay for the engine.

Dean

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 17, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
Here is my clutch setup.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 17, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »
Here is the link to the different Zetec engines. I used a Series 2 (Silver Top) Engine.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=91.0

« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 17, 2017, 03:09:53 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,May 18, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
Lotus Joe. Thanks for the pictures and info.  In choosing between the 2 variations 1995 gen 2 and 2003 gen 3 engine is one an easier install than the other.  My car is the narrow frame S2 so I know I need to cut the frame for the alternator.  On another similar chassis I saw they had to cut the frame for the water pump on the 2003 engine install.  You can contact me direct at
tom_shaugh@hotmail.com.      Thanks.  Tom

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Monday,May 22, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »
I am also thinking of the Ztec conversion and this is the first I read about the tc bellhousing only being used. I don't want to hijack your post but I may need one also since I have a 821-30 engine one.
Maybe you can lead me to that bit of information via link?
Thanks dakazman

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #9 on: Monday,May 22, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »
I am also thinking of the Ztec conversion and this is the first I read about the tc bellhousing only being used. I don't want to hijack your post but I may need one also since I have a 821-30 engine one.
Maybe you can lead me to that bit of information via link?
Thanks dakazman
Only the transmissions that were associated with the TwinCam engine will work. That is because the 105E Ford block (the basis for the TwinCam) and the Zetec are the same. When Ford switched to the all aluminum Duratec engine, the block was a new design and the bolt pattern for the bellhousing no longer matched.  Your basically looking for a 336, 352 or 365 tranny. 
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #10 on: Monday,May 22, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
Thanks. Didn't realize that. So does that mean my 336 bellhousing attached to the ng3 won't line up?
Please let me know lotus Joe.

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #11 on: Monday,May 22, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »
Meant to say will my ng3 with a twin cam bell housing line up with a Zetec

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #12 on: Monday,May 22, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
The TC belhousing will fit with some minor modification. The bellhousing will require some machining to the input seal area to accommodate the NG3 input shaft bearing/seal assembly.  When you modify it, remember to drill the holes for the bearing oil passage.  Other than that, you might require a release bearing spacer depending on the clutch you choose to use.