Author Topic: Alternator Alternatives  (Read 1348 times)

Offline HelpMyLotus

Alternator Alternatives
« on: Sunday,March 26, 2017, 05:19:00 AM »
I believe my alternator is either failing or failed.  It's only putting out 11+ amps.  I did some research on the one currently installed but couldn't find and exact match.  I have a Delco Remy.  Is this stock?  Does anyone have a simple replacement?  I may just run it to the local alt shop to get it repaired, but wouldn't mind a shiny, trouble free, easy to wire swap.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Alternator Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 26, 2017, 08:31:52 AM »
Your alternator might not have failed if your 11 amps is on the ammeter after you've started up. Generally speaking the output will match the required charge level so with a completely flat battery you should see a higher output. If your measurement is supposed to be full load though, yeah, that sounds low.

Without a picture I'm not sure if yours is OEM fitting, but it sounds likely.

There are alternatives but as you're on the opposite side of the pond to me, I doubt my choices would be of much help and I'm sure you can find cheaper options over there. However, I fitted a Lucas 17ACR unit to mine, a tight fit but the pulleys align up ok. I replaced this relatively recently with a Lucas A127 unit which is a much higher output and theoretically too much, but in practice it rarely gives over 20amps on the dial.

both units here....   http://www.martley.plus.com/lotusland2016/europa/16europa03.html

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,March 26, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
Delco Remy alts are fine.  If you can get it fixed, even better.  Only fit a different alt if you can't get the original fixed, or, you need a higher output.

Offline Roger

« Reply #3 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »
Start the engine and turn everything electric on. Lights, blowers, wipers and then look at the ammeter. If you show a discharge, you have a problem. If you have a slight charge, that's how it should be, nothing further needed.
I got my Delco Remy overhauled and fixed by a local shop. It needed a new regulator, but a modern one can be adapted to fit in the casing.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,April 05, 2017, 05:01:02 AM »
I had a number of issues with alternators that ended up costing me a fortune.  One the most important things to remember is the overall length of the unit.  Its tempting to buy more modern more powerful replacements but when I did that I discovered that it got in the way of the distributor and I couldn't return the unit.  In my view its better to get the original unit reconditioned. 

Offline 2483R

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,April 05, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »
My original unit was a Lucas, probably fitted by the previous owner. I repaired the Lucas at least twice. When the Lucas failed the third time I bought a box of 3 junk stock AC-Delcos, and pieced them together to make 1 good unit. I thought the AC-Delco would be much more reliable than the Lucas. But I repaired the AC-Delco at least a half dozen times. Finally had enough.

Been using a 55 amp Bosch for years, with no problems. Attached is a picture.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,April 05, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
Very neat fitment, it looks like it's been made for the car !  Good choice, I never even thought about Bosch when I was looking. Well spotted

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,April 06, 2017, 05:58:44 AM »
It is a Bosch alt that is an external clone of the Lucas alt.  It fits because it is designed to fit.  Most Bosch alts will not fit.  Just something to keep in mind.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,April 06, 2017, 06:26:10 AM »
Although my alternator seems to be behaving itself at the moment, it's nice to have a backup plan. Is there a model number or donor car for this alternator? Wiring instructions?

Offline 2483R

« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 07, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »
I suppose I should also comment (for those who don’t know) that the stock AC-Delco in a TC is English made. It is similar to an American made Delco of the day, but is not the same. Unlike the American Delcos, it has an awful reputation for reliability.

I see the Boschs on ebay all the time, advertised as Lucas replacements, for what I consider outrageous prices.

Attached is a screen shots from O’Rielly Autoparts, showing the Bosch alternator. It comes stock on an early 70s Capri. Or just go to www.oreillyauto.com and type in part # 13138.

The Lester # is a unique number that identifies an alternator, give the Lester number to any rebuild shop and they can supply you with that alternator. The Lester number for my alternator is 13138.

It comes on a Capri with an external remote regulator, but any decent rebuild shop can fit a regulator (I believe it the black box bolted to the back of the Bosch in the photo). You will need a correctly sized pulley, but again, no problem for a decent shop.

The Triumph/MG people have been doing these conversions for a long time, there is plenty of info on the net. For wiring instructions see their sites, such as;
http://www.74tr6.com/alternator2010.htm
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,913842
http://www.tiggersavage.com/ford_alternator.htm

Be warned that the flange clocking on a TR6 is different than a Europa. The clocking refers to the orientation of the alternator belt adjustment bracket flange to the primary alternator mounting flange. It is at 2:00 o’clock or 10:00 o’clock? Thus the specific Bosch used on a TR6 will not work on a Europa because the clocking is different. Ask me how I know?

I don’t want to beat the drum too loudly for the Bosch, as there are other options. My local alternator rebuilder offered me an American made Delco, and Bean used to sell a Japanese alternator, both bolt-on swaps for the English Delco/Lucas. I selected the Bosch because it was cheaper at the time.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 07, 2017, 07:32:44 AM »
Thanks for the write up, 2483R! That's very helpful. It seems that the Bosch unit is a very nice alternative and you got a great price on it if you paid what your screen shot says! Just looking around it seems to be a bit difficult to find on except for on ebay at almost three times your price. Maybe I'll call your O'Reilly store and have one shipped to me!