Author Topic: Door seals  (Read 1268 times)

Offline kiwiokie

Door seals
« on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
Does the carpet edge and A pillar trim tuck inside the door seal U or was it glued up against the outside of the U?  Cheers, John

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Door seals
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
Depending on how much carpet pile to the edge...either will work...mine is tucked under and not folded over the sill lip.

Had quite a time to get the proper TC seals...so the door will close...

R&D's were n/g...the bulb was too big, called Banks and they were of better quality and smaller size.ld

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
If I understand you, the carpet should be trimmed to fit independently of anything. The A pillar trim should be glued to the pillar and the door seal goes on top.

I just saw Lou's post. I wouldn't have thought it possible to have the carpet under the seal attachment!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
If I understand you, the carpet should be trimmed to fit independently of anything. The A pillar trim should be glued to the pillar and the door seal goes on top.

I just saw Lou's post. I wouldn't have thought it possible to have the carpet under the seal attachment!

To explain,the carpet edge...about 1/8"remaining...I left un-glued and then wedged it under the u channel when fitting.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »
Oh no, not again!  Always post too late!  Just received my door seals from RD today.  Drivers side works fine.  Passenger side the door closes and latches but the trailing edge of the door is 1/4" out from the body and the window frame is way too far out.  Seems like I need to move the door lock outwards or the strike plate inwards so the door is pulled in closer to the body.  I attempted to move the door lock outwards but there seemed to be no lateral adjustment.  The strike plate is already moved inwards as far as I can before.  I guess I can remove the lock and oval the holes a bit to get the lateral movement I need?

Depending on how much carpet pile to the edge...either will work...mine is tucked under and not folded over the sill lip.

Had quite a time to get the proper TC seals...so the door will close...

R&D's were n/g...the bulb was too big, called Banks and they were of better quality and smaller size.ld

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
I wouldn't monkey with the mount of the lock. It would be too many variables to deal with. I would order the seal from Richard instead.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
Good carpeting comes with edging and, at door openings, a strip of vinyl.  The vinyl glues up and over the edge of the door opening.  However, this is a Lotus. So, maybe that will work, maybe that will prove too thick and then the door won't close, or too thin and you'll have to bolster it further to get it to seal.  One thing I do know is that you fit the door FIRST, then fit the door seal.  Shim, trim, support and/or cut back as required to get a good seal.

On my S1, the door seal was too thick.  I had to trim inside the seal's u-channel and then it fit perfectly.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will mess with it again tomorrow and maybe will have my Eureka moment :-)

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #8 on: Monday,March 27, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
Sounds like you're talking about the edge trim? That's not the door/weather seal 2 different things. What you seem to be describing is the plastic "U" trim around the interior? It goes over the "flange" edge & the edge of the carpet.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #9 on: Friday,March 31, 2017, 05:28:43 AM »
Problem solved after a quick chat with Richard Banks.  The door lock is a double latching mechanism so moving the strike plate further in to pull the door closer to the body was the wrong thing to do as it meant only the first latch step was engaging allowing the door to be moved in and out a quarter inch even though the door appeared to be closed properly.  Moving the latch outwards an eighth of an inch fixed the problem.  Both doors now fit pretty good!