Author Topic: WTB Rear cover for 352 transmission.  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Roger

WTB Rear cover for 352 transmission.
« on: Wednesday,March 15, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »
I filled my transmission Monday afternoon, but the oil was on the floor Tuesday. I need a replacement rear cover casting, please!

Offline Lotus 47

Re: WTB Rear cover for 352 transmission.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 15, 2017, 06:54:34 PM »
I have a 352 box from an R12. Email me pictures and we can see if they are the same.

Cheers

Richard Mann
richard.mann047@gmail.com

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 15, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
Roger - your car may have been backed into one of those nasty concrete parking lot bumpers.  If the is the case, the aluminum casing has been cracked - thus the fluid leak.  Replacements are pretty impossible to find.  Your best bet is to remove the casting and take it to a really good aluminum welder.  The casting may need some machining after the welding depending where the crack is located.  I had to do this with my 365 rear casting.  Also replace the lip seal, the felt seal, the rubber gater and the bushing .  This piece is hard to keep leak free when it is in the best of condition.

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,March 15, 2017, 07:40:57 PM »
I second Tom's comment. I cracked the end cover of my 365 back in the day and I took it to a motorcycle shop to weld it up. They did a super job and never gave any problems after that.

But have you convinced yourself that is where it's leaking? Presumably, you're already certain it isn't something stupid like the drain plug and it's not a missing seal or something like that. If you're unsure, you might try wrapping paper towel around where the seals are, where the end cover is bolted on, the underside of the case where the two halves join, output shaft seals. You can put some inexpensive thin oil in it to check.

Offline Roger

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 16, 2017, 08:02:53 AM »
I have now taken the cover off, and maybe the damage isn't as severe as it could be. The housing for the oil seal has partly broken away, but the inner face on which the seal sits is OK.
My plan is to build up the housing , where a couple of bits have broken off, with JB  weld, clean it all up so an oil seal will fit and then fit a  sleeve over it all. Just something to keep the oil seal in place.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 16, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
Devcon aluminium putty would work better.

Offline Roger

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 16, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Devcon aluminium putty would work better.
Thanks for the tip!