Author Topic: Renault A7L question  (Read 1685 times)

Offline califkid_66

Renault A7L question
« on: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 11:12:17 AM »
I have a Renault A7L crossflow engine which came as a spare I have an 821 in my Europa I wanted to find out if it fits the 336 tranny what are the mods to do to make it fit clutch flywheel pressure plate do I have to strengthen my frame?? so many questions  I could stay with my 821 runs perfect but that crossflow looks so nice I have a friend that has been bothering me to sell him the crossflow if I decide to let him have it what would be a fair price it was rebuilt for racing it’s got twin delortos 45 with 38 Venturi all rebuilt thank for your help

Offline jbcollier

Re: Renault A7L question
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »
Info on fitting a crossflow to a Europa can be found here:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s1misc/PFEngineering.pdf

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s1misc/s1hemi.pdf

IIRC, the A7L was a turbo engine.  It would have to have HC pistons fitted.  Looks like it has the correct water pump and cam.

You can fit the stock 200mm Europa flywheel and clutch.  It would be nice to go a 215mm with the uprated clutch but then you will need a bell housing from a later tranny like a 395 or NG series.

Chassis does not require reinforcing but there will be some adjustments and tweaks required.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
Thanks for the info I’m still undecided what to do if I put it in I’m sure I’m gonna have to change the venturies  and jets cause the way it’s set up I’d sound like a f1 reving waiting for green !!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
Crossflows with 45s are usually made to rev.  You can fit smaller venturis or 40s but it also depends on the cam and porting.  A wild cam with huge valves and ports is not going to purr at 1500 rpm no matter how small the venturis and/or carb.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 02:30:02 PM »
I have no idea what was done during the rebuild all I know is what I can see  all the gaskets are new the carbs have been rebuilt the previous owner passed away he got the engine rebuilt to do vintage racing but from the carb setup it was made to rev
Is there any way to know what’s in there or should I just try to start it to see how it runs I could build an engine stand  and run it out of the car to see  how it idles

Offline GavinT

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 08:30:27 PM »
The only way to know is to take the head off; not that big of a deal.

If it was built for racing, vintage racing or anything else, you should seriously consider it’s suitability for a road engine. 38mm chokes tells you something.

Many moons ago, I bought a Gordini F2 engine and opened it up to have a look.
It had everything you’d expect - Gordini pistons & rods etc.

It also had the head shaved, a cut down cam with the dizzy mounted on the end. The compression ratio must be . . ummm . . . pretty high.

It used a remote water pump driven by a belt and had the coolant inlet on the other end of the head and modified to reverse the coolant flow.
The carbs were DCOE45’s with 40mm chokes and it used triple valve springs.

The guy I bought it from said it had been blown up more times than I’d had hot dinners. When I asked him why, he said it was because he was trying to keep up with the Golfs. Golf engines have a good reputation for holding together in such situations.

As we know, careful attention needs to be paid to valve lifters with these engines if you’re using a big cam.
I found the cam had been reground (likely more than once, understandably) but the lobe base circles were very close to the rough cast diameter of the cam. In a couple of places, two tappets were clipping the edge of the raw cam casting!
The engine had been freshly rebuilt and looks like no one noticed that.

Needless to say, this would be unsuitable for a road engine, quite apart from the water pump and dizzy placement issues.

I really only bought it for a few interesting bits.
It has a genuine Renault Sport dry sump, Gordini rods which are useful, a Gordini rocker cover and a very neat / small / light Sachs clutch. The clutch uses a solid plate and is splined to suit a Hewland but the pressure plate tested up to spec. I figure I might space the pressure plate out and use a more conventional driven plate.

Sorry for the long rant, but that’s the problem with race engines.
They cost a small fortune to build but they’re not much chop for the road. The other thing is that racers don’t typically buy, or pay a lot of money for an unknown engine built by someone else.

With that said, your engine doesn’t look to be as extreme, but you’d likely still need to change some things.
The up side is that your 821 engine is in good shape and you don’t need to make a quick decision.

I’d be sorely tempted to de-tune it a bit because you’d end up with a great engine.

Cheers,
Gavin
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 08:32:19 PM by GavinT »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 29, 2018, 08:40:47 PM »
It would be nice to go a 215mm with the uprated clutch but then you will need a bell housing from a later tranny like a 395 or NG series.

If I recall, Richard Mann said you can fit the bigger clutch in the 336 bell-housing with minor clearance grinding on a couple of the web areas, but would need to confirm that.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #7 on: Friday,March 30, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies it was bothering me not to know what I had so I revived the carb to take a peak and it’s ported and polished next step removing oil pan  then the head but I’m gonna get gaskets first
Wish the Hermes kit was still available it would make my 821 look much nicer