Author Topic: Wiring a gear reduction starter with a remote start solenoid  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Wiring a gear reduction starter with a remote start solenoid
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,December 29, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
On my stock TCS, the ballast resistor is external to and mounted to the coil primary terminal. If your coil is similar, I would attach the second small wire to the cold start terminal on the new starter from RD Ent to enable the cold start circuitry.

The ebay gear reduction starter installed on my JPS did not have a separate terminal for the cold start but the PO had installed a Lucas gold sport coil and had bypassed the ballast resistor so the terminal was apparently not needed.

During the installation of my new starter motor,  I found out that the orientation of the starter motor was restricted by interference of the solenoid by the engine block and proximity the after market tubular exhaust down pipe. I was pretty much restricted to one position of the starter motor. Since I was installing a remote starter relay, I didn't have to worry about the battery cable reaching the new starter. If you had to force the battery cable to reach your starter terminal, I would definitely watch how the cable is routed and make sure that it's not chafing on anything in the engine bay.