Author Topic: door hinge nut removal in 2 seconds!  (Read 2364 times)

Offline grnicholson

door hinge nut removal in 2 seconds!
« on: Saturday,December 12, 2015, 05:40:42 AM »
I had to address the dreaded door drop on my S2.    I tried brute force: multiple applications of very expensive penetrating fluid: heating the spanner with a blowlamp and applying to the nuts;  nothing worked.

Then I had a brainwave.   I centre popped a dimple on the locking nut in the direction of undo; put a protective piece of wood behind it; and got a good grip on my pneumatic hammer drill with a pointed chisel tool and pressed onto the dimple.  Less than a second did the trick!!

The same with the other nuts on the whole door hinge.  The top nuts didn't even need penetrating fluid and they were original, never been changed/adjusted in 45 years.   The indent was so small that it did not affect the fit of the spanners.

Mind you, the rest of the morning was lost inserting packers until I was satisfied with the fit...........!

Richard in sunny Spain

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: door hinge nut removal in 2 seconds!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,December 12, 2015, 06:33:46 AM »
Nice, need to remember this method for my next door adjustment.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline grnicholson

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,December 13, 2015, 05:04:35 AM »
Hi

Email me if you need any advice!

Kind regards

Richard   Richardelke@terra.com

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,December 13, 2015, 05:49:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing this in a few months.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,December 13, 2015, 06:15:45 AM »
Joe recently suggested that we not put our email address in a post because somebody could use it to send you (and your contacts) spam or worse. (It sounds like a low probability, but I am amazed at what some people will do and the lengths they will go to do it). To set up a handy way to let forum members email you, Go to your profile, choose 'account settings' and then 'modify profile' and check 'allow users to email me', then save. Now there will be a little envelope under your avatar. When some body wants to email you, they click on that envelope ant opens an email editor with your address in the 'to' box.