Author Topic: Elise Seats  (Read 1239 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Elise Seats
« on: Friday,July 20, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »
Has anyone considered or put a set of Elise seat into a Europa.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline benbeames

Re: Elise Seats
« Reply #1 on: Friday,July 20, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
I did a lot of searching for some lighter seats last year, and found that any modern seat either didn't have enough rake to it or if it had an adjustable recline, wouldn't slide back very far because of the reclining mechanism would hit the back of the cab.  Though mind you, I'm 6'1" and would like my 6'3" father to also be able to get into the car

I ended up with economy fiberglass seats from Speedway.com, but in a couple weeks I'm going to try making my own creafoam bead seat just to see if I can do it.   When I try it, I'll post about my experience.

Ben

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Friday,July 20, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
I would think these might fit. Seems like they are about the same size as Europa seats. I know the Miata crowd buys the seats up pretty quick when they come up for sale.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline benbeames

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 20, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
I've seen some modern style seat in one before. It could have been for an Elise. I wish I had sked at the time.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 20, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »
Joe, I wouldn't even consider it, honestly.

We're fortunate in that we've got an S1 Elise alongside the other cars and trust me, those Elise seats aren't as comfortable as they look. True they are very light and in the later (S2) form they have more padding but even so they aren't as comfortable as the Europa ones. Not a problem if you're racing but literally a PITA on a road trip more than an hour or so.

After a few years I decided I needed to do something and I even measured to see if Europa seats would go in but IIRC they were too wide. (which makes me think they would fit into a Europa, I can measure again if you wish). In the end I took the Elise seats apart and re-trimmed the central section with an alcantara-like material and more padding, which is ok but still not a patch on the Europa ones.

Brian