Author Topic: Uprights - What would you do if you were making new ones?  (Read 9092 times)

Offline cal44

Re: Uprights - What would you do if you were making new ones?
« Reply #15 on: Monday,July 01, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »
Isn't technology amazing............
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Type 74

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,January 02, 2018, 01:28:05 AM »
Completed the Upright scan today!

I also weighed the stock carrier and it is 2.4 lbs.

Hi

Now I'm picking up an old topic!

Do you possibly have a step or sat file on those uprights. I'm going to rebuild the suspension, and a 3D model would be great to have.  :D

Hans

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,January 02, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »
Carlsson, it looks like you've settled on making a new casting. Another member did just that but I don't think he gave any details about his except that his was solid. Have you thought about fabricating rear uprights?

I visited a race team that was the factory Oldsmobile effort in IMSA many years ago. While the car wasn't successful, it was very advanced with a lot of honeycomb, etc. One thing I noticed is that the uprights were fabricated. I also remember from my racing days that my Lola had a fabricated rear cross member and my buddy's March Formula Atlantic car's similar cast cross member weighed about the same and mine was certainly cheaper.

Just a thought.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 08:04:24 AM »
FWIW, my uprights have 'cracked' around the mounting ears, and would need some added material (welded?) before I'd be happy with them. I got a quote of having them copied in steel - pic attached. Since then, thinking about it, seems maybe upgrading the bearings would be good, and as I'm intending to make the Miata disk brake conversion, so thinking of having the caliper mount incorporated into the hub.
The fab shop has many capabilities - a lathe with a 5' swing(old school, but very impressive!)- cnc, etc. Web site too. The price for one set a bit prohibitive, but for ten, not so bad...
PS - Brian - thanks for the Elise bearing/carrier diagram.
« Last Edit: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 08:12:44 AM by andy harwood »

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 08:17:16 AM »
I'm not a fabricator or machinist so I'm speaking from ignorance but the price for the steel version seems really expensive (if the aluminum version was cast, I can see where it would be pretty expensive. too bad we didn't get more information from the guy who had a new set cast from aluminum) but I suppose he's factoring in some engineering and drafting time as well as making a jig.

It would be interesting to know how much he'd charge for different quantities.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
Set-up and/or programming do add time/cost. The steel version quote uses DOM tube.
Would be interesting to see the cost difference between, say 10 sets of steel, and 10 sets of cast aluminum, or 6061 aluminum, after the machining is completed.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #21 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
Ouch, that looks expensive Andy.  I don't know how recent the prices are but Spyder were quoting £195 (plus VAT) for their hub carriers - say £400/$550 ?

http://www.spydercars.co.uk/lotus-europa-series-2-spyder-double-wishbone-rear-suspension-and-driveshaft-conversion-r-s-c-2/

That's for the drum brake version but I can't see it costing much more to get a caliper mount added.

The price for 10 sets looks more attractive though. I expect the single cost is pricing in a learning curve to cover unforeseen problems which I suppose seems reasonable.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
Spyder's steel uprights are apparently for their double wishbone rear suspension. Does anybody know if they are usable with the standard Europa suspension?

I went over to Bank's website thinking Richard might have a fabricated rear upright. That seemed like something he would make, but it doesn't appear so. There are no pictures of or prices for the uprights he lists. But interestingly, he does list an A-arm rear suspension! It appears that it fits on his 47, 62, and TC frames. For S2s, he still offers his twin link rear suspension (but not TCs!). Maybe that was well known but if so, I must have been out to lunch!  ;)

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #23 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
Have you guys tried protolabs.com for fabricated parts? Fully automated CNC quote and machining process in a good variety of materials. Upload a CAD file and they quote on the spot. Tolerances are a bit sloppy, so you might treat the raw machined part like a casting, leaving extra material for bearing mounts and bolt hole to be cleaned up in a secondary operation.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #24 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 01:36:26 PM »
Spyder's steel uprights are apparently for their double wishbone rear suspension. Does anybody know if they are usable with the standard Europa suspension?

From the pictures I've seen, I suspect not in fact I'd be surprised if they'd even come close.

They looked similar to those Roddymac designed and made for an upper & lower link design and I'd say like Roddy's they are more complex than the OEM carrier.  I was just surprised at Andy's quote and trying to get my head around why the OEM  design would cost so much when a more complex carrier was apparently cheaper.

Perhaps Roddymac should set up a sideline business of "Kustom Carriers"   :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #25 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 01:53:34 PM »
Perhaps Roddymac should set up a sideline business of "Kustom Carriers"   :)

I had that thought too, but I thought he deserved a warning first!  :)

I can't help believing that a good fabricator couldn't make these without a lot of fuss. If there was some money in it, I might ask the guy who did the fabrication on my car.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #26 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
My ears are burning....

My uprights set me back roughly $250 CDN for laser cutting and machining (twice, one pre welding and once post welding).   Looking at the Europa pieces, there is a bit more work involved with the bearing housing portion, but it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate.  I think the hardest part would be building some jigs/fixtures to do the welding and the machining.   

It looks like there are few things I should start fabricating once my car is done: lower front wishbones, fabricated rear hub carriers, laser or waterjet cut OEM type steering wheels (if I could get my hands on one to measure), and other odds and ends.

Rod

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
If you're looking for suggestions, you might include stub axle/hub arrangement to go with your rear uprights. You might also add a mounting bracket for calipers and upper link.

This is a list that might never stop!  :)

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #28 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
LOL put seats on that list too.  So many not easily sourced parts but semi easy to replicate parts with some good fabrication skill.

If you wanted steel fabricated uprights I bet they wouldn't be hard to do.  If you want them cast so they look like factory that is where the cost will go up.
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline BDA

« Reply #29 on: Thursday,January 04, 2018, 05:37:30 PM »
FYI r.d. enterprises sells a seat kit.