Author Topic: Tail Light conversion  (Read 1754 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Tail Light conversion
« on: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
I've been exploring converting my tail lights to LEDs. I found these LED panels sold by http://www.classicautoleds.com/JAG_XKES2.html for $174.00 for a pair. This modification eleminates the DB10 box. Has anyone done this mod or one similar? Since I'm rewiring the car this would be an ideal time to eliminate a bunch of wiring under the dash.

Turn Signal       Brake light
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

Re: Tail Light conversion
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
That looks like a nice setup! I came to LEDs a long time after I built my car so reducing the wiring behind the dash wasn't an issue for me. I replaced (almost) all my bulbs with LEDs. In case you're interested in other bulbs, you can find my list of LEDs used on my TCS (which was converted to Red/White/Amber rear lights) here: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1907.msg17917#msg17917

I'm sure you know you'll have to get electronic flashers (listed in that post). The only problem with them is that they don't make much of a 'click.' I'd like to find something to put after the flasher and before the lights to make a good audible sound but so far, no luck.

In case you missed it, the turn signal is red.

LEDs are generally long lasting, but they do go out - a guy I met with an Evora told me it's not unusual for some of the LEDs in the tail lights to go out. You would have to live with that or pay a lot for a replacement if that happened to you. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me to find that the LEDs you're looking at are of better quality than those used by Lotus. For that reason, I would vote for LED replacements of incandescent bulbs. Doing that would also allow you to get rid of the DB-10.

[edit]I just noticed that they list electronic flashers that 'click.' If they actually do make a loud 'click', I'd be interested in one. If you get them, I'd like to hear a report on them.

[edit again]I looked up the flasher they sell and LOOKS like the same one I got from Summit Racing which has a different number. Mine does make a click but I can't hear it except when I'm idling. My car is pretty loud (so because of the poor mechanical signal canceler and the fact that I can't hear that my turn signal is blinking, it's not at all unusual to drive several miles with my blinker on!) but even if it were much quieter, I don't think I'd be able to hear it during normal driving.

[and edit again]Here is a link to the flasher that Classic Auto LEDs sells: https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industries-EF32RL-Electronic-Compatible/dp/B00JXLH7CG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510091703&sr=8-1&keywords=CEC+EF32RL+flasher&dpID=41X9zIgmSXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Here's a link to the flasher I got from Summit Racing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-90652
« Last Edit: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 01:56:28 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
I looked at the instructions and don't see anything about this allowing you to remove the DB-10 relay.  Also, no reverse lights as the Jag had separate reverse lights.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
I assumed Joe was counting on the lower current draw would allow him to "directly" connect the turn signals and tail lights without using relays in the DB-10.

The lack of backup lights would be another reason for using LED replacements for the original incandescents. It would be a lot cheaper, too!

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
I would be using the stock lens. The backup light remains.

The electronic blinker that I'm using does make noise.

The DB10 relay is no longer needed, as the brake light is separate from the turn signal light (Like a non-federal car).

I would install the flat panels into the existing light housings. I only need to remove the reflector and bulb holder that is there.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »
Here are the three different versions of the Lucas L807 housing.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 03:36:09 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
Sounds like you have all the pros and cons and you're still on board so I'd go for it.

Which electronic flasher are you using? Have you heard the noise it makes?

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,November 08, 2017, 06:06:54 AM »
Hi BDA,

I used a company called better car lighting in the Uk to change over to LEDs for my Elan.  The owner, Gil, is a classic Jaguar owner himself and is very pleasant to talk to. He knew exactly what I needed for my car.  He sells a clacker kit for the turn signals (http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=546). It was a very easy installation process and it makes a loud and clear noise in operation. I can hear it easily over the engine noise.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Pete

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,November 08, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Pete! It looks good!

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,November 08, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
Sadly the horn and indicators aren’t working. My young kids were playing inside the Elan whilst I was hoisting the Europa’s body on and off. They looked rather guilty when I asked them what they were up to! I think they just knocked an earth out. Hmm.