Author Topic: Getting There...  (Read 5450 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Getting There...
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday,September 14, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
Just a note: It doesn't have much to do with the ride height issue, but it appears that the relative spring rates may not be as off as I thought. Left's front spring has more coils and appears to have thinner wire compared to Brian's 250# front springs. As I said before, I think it would be very useful to know the spring rates you have.

The apparent free length of the springs is pertinent to the ride height issue and Left's front springs appear to have a longer free length than Brian's, but since the springs haven't changed since the concern started (do I understand that correctly?), that wouldn't impact the ride height.

I hope this isn't me!  :deadhorse:

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #31 on: Thursday,September 15, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
I was under there, I noticed the anti-roll bar and began to wonder if that could have anything to do with it?  At least at the front.

I can't see the sway bar in the photos, but I also can't think of a way to install it incorrectly to hold up the front suspension.  You are missing the trunion boot, so in the next assembly cycle you may way to fit that in place to help keep the grit out.

Like others said, the rear seems to be assembled correctly.  I don't know how much of a runner you started with, but could the cross member (the bar that crosses over the transaxle) have been bolted to the chassis too high by using only the upper mount.  That would effectively result in a higher rear shock mount and when reassembled correctly, raise the rear as compared to the previous incorrect position.

Hmm.
Dean

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #32 on: Thursday,September 15, 2016, 03:00:29 PM »
First of all, from my perspective, no one has been beating a dead horse here. Oh of your comments have me thinking about the order of events that actually took place and the order of events my mind tells me took  place.

I distinctly remember setting the suspension up the way it is today.  With the upgraded front wishbones added at the same time as the springs.    I know for a fact this was done in my house's garage since that is where all the equipment I used was and still is, sitting in the corner.

I also painted portions of the frame with POR 15 in the downtown garage.  I know that's a fact as well because the stuff is still on the floor.   

I painted the red in our driveway because blotches of red stone can be corrected with a rake.

I also remember switching out the springs again and again after the front spring/rear spring chrome debacle, because front & rear had to match, but the front springs weren't going to be seen anyway, but if you looked real close or from underneath, yoy could see them anywayyou and they were new.  I also went back and forth with the new wishbones.   The picture of the frame in the driveway reflects the point where the old springs and old wishbones were in place.

The human mind is very susceptible to suggestion and memories can be false, so now, with several new comments and suggestions, I'm beginning to wonder if the order of events as I remember them actually happened. 

"Your front springs look MUCH stiffer than your rears."
If that were the case in the early photo of the car had been taken with the old springs in place, that could answer a lot.  I did take weight off the front end, but "a lot" is a relative term so as far as weight goes, I can't answer definitively.

The dampers ARE new and as I recall replaced early on in the process.  I also recall being concerned about the right height when I installed them.  But by lowering the perches I was able to set the car at the right height.  That one's a little more difficult to convince myself I'm thinking wrongly, but knowing me, it's not out of the question.

I have no idea if the old and new shock absorbers line up or not.  I'm pretty sure the purchases are way higher than the original equipment.  But I'm also unsure if the springs run further up the shaft.  That's another thing I'll need to look at, thank you.

As far as the rear goes, I'm wondering if the PO hadn't raised the crossbar for what ever reason and I simply replaced it back to the proper position when cleaning it up. I'll have to dig through old photos and check that out.  If it hasn't changed, I'm thinking, Hmmm...I have a brand new (to me) milling machine and I love aluminum billet stuff... So maybe cutting the springs wouldn't be the wisest thing to do after all:-).

I am sponsoring Nadia Azzi (Google her) to play here next month and have been quite busy setting things up.  It's also eating into my car budget a bit, so I'm slowing down (not stopping, mind you) Lotus work a little until after she leaves.

As likely as not, I won't be able to experiment with the ideas y'all have given me until late October.  So I f I'm going back to the original Springs, the break might give me time to have them blasted and powder coated.

Always looking for that silver lining.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #33 on: Thursday,September 15, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »
Nadia sounds like an amazing talent! I wish I could see her!

Good luck with the car when you get back working on it. Let us know how it goes and if we can help.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #34 on: Thursday,September 15, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »
Thank you BDA... Seriously. 

I can't wait to meet her in person myself and you're more than welcome to come.  You're only a State away and tickets are still on sale... :)

And since you've offered to help, pack some greasy work clothes before you leave...  :FUNNY: 
« Last Edit: Thursday,September 15, 2016, 05:03:53 PM by LeftAngle »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #35 on: Thursday,September 15, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
Hi again,

I've just watched Nadia on Youtube playing Rachmaninov and yep, that lass has talent.  Here's hoping your concert is a sell out.

Back on the car theme, when I was changing the suspension on my car I did lots of internet searching and one thing I found was graphic which I think originally came from Spyder Engineering.  It was one of the few things I found with dimensions on so I cleaned it up and kept it as baseline reference even though I think it's really for the S2 cars.

I'll stress this is unknown provenance but the numbers might help you decide where the issue lies with your car ?

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #36 on: Friday,September 16, 2016, 08:51:33 AM »
Thank you big time Brian... both for your well wishes and the attachment.  It'll probably be more difficult checking those dimensions with the body on, but a lot less frustrating than shotgun attempts at trying things just to see if they work.

btw, off topic but, my favorite video is "The Tom & Jerry Show".  She knows this, so maybe she'll play it for me when she gets here 🎼
« Last Edit: Friday,September 16, 2016, 09:01:02 AM by LeftAngle »