Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

Camping In A Lotus

(1/3) > >>

Bainford:
As a personal trial of intestinal fortitude, I went camping in the Lotus. Been wanting to do it since before I even had received the car. I finally managed to do it last week and I had a blast. Two campgrounds, five nights, and 722 miles, and aside from the occasional bout with stop & go traffic fouling the plugs, not a whisper of a problem. I mounted an assault on some of my favorite driving roads upon which I had not yet had the pleasure of driving the Lotus. The weather was perfect, the scenery was wonderful, the traffic was light, and the Lotus never missed a beat. I can think of no better way to spend a week, and I'm looking forward to next year's trip already. I was sad it ended.

This is all in preperation for longer road trips, perhaps eventually driving across Canada and back. This first trip was a total success, and I made some notes to improve future trips. More pictures on my photobucket album http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Bainford/Lotus/Lotus%20Camping/

benbeames:
 :trophy:

This is even better than my old usage of my Europa to go to Costco with (you'd be amazed at what you can pack in there, especially without a passenger). 

My friends and I had this semi joking idea that we'd take my Europa across the US just to see what would happen.  It was only a fun notion though as we never really thought we'd be able to do it.   But you're well on your way to accomplishing such a distance.  Way to go!

Steve:
Thanks for sharing that story!!

EuropaTC:
Some great photos there although having to wear an anti-midgie veil (or whatever you guys call them ?) looks like you're camping in Scotland ! (Scotland has a very bad midgie problem, so bad they make a national joke about it)

And you're right to plan long trips, I think people forget these cars were designed to be used as daily cars, the idea of a car as a track day toy just didn't exist in the UK of the 1970s. The Europa started out as a cheap updated replacement for the Seven but ended up as a Lotus's version of a grand tourer - which is exactly what you're using it for !

So good on you  :beerchug:

Bainford:
Thanks guys. It was great fun and I'm already planning next year's trip.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version