Author Topic: Another highly priced Europa TC  (Read 2772 times)

Offline BDA

Another highly priced Europa TC
« on: Wednesday,October 04, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
This looks like a nice car but it's certainly not close to concours. I hope he gets his price but it seems pretty ambitious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Lotus-Europa-Special-Europa-Twin-Cam-Big-Valve-/372087947455?hash=item56a22b80bf:g:4XMAAOSwhzJZrED6&vxp=mtr

I hope it's a good sign that this is the third Europa for sale for more than $35,000. The only one I know that sold was this one that was listed on bringatrailer.com: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2215.0

Hopefully it's the start of a trend!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Another highly priced Europa TC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 04, 2017, 10:32:04 PM »
hmm. Some nice touches but as you say, not concours or anywhere near. To me the interior trim lets it down badly, it would need carpets, seats and dash sorting out for me to pay serious money.

On the subject of price rises I was reading earlier in the month how Europa prices were on the rise in the UK as well. Not enough for me to order that Lear Jet, but at least moving in the right direction  :)

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 05, 2017, 05:37:43 AM »
I would agree the eBay Europa TC is listed at an ambitious price. Originality does have its value (I know Ted would agree with me on that) but this car will need a lot of work to make it worth the investment.

I like the body mod done on the BAT Europa, removing the side marker lamps. Makes the car look so much cleaner. Will be doing the same on my rebuild (and Ted will give me grief for doing it).

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 05, 2017, 06:03:11 AM »
I didn't notice the lack of side marker lights on the BAT car. It looks good but they, like the front turn signal "warts" never bothered me.

There's yet another Europa where the owner is asking $35,000 and it's a project! There are apparently different stages or levels at which you can buy the car.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/lotus/europa/2009909.html

Maybe you'll be getting the Lear Jet after all, Brian!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 06, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »

On the subject of price rises I was reading earlier in the month how Europa prices were on the rise in the UK as well. Not enough for me to order that Lear Jet, but at least moving in the right direction  :)

Brian

Sounds like you are playing a tune I want to hear.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 06, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
The ebay price from the OP seems very high considering the condition of the interior of that car.  The one on BAT was mint.  That was a very clean car for $35K it would be hard to restore a car to that caliber. 
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 01:08:48 AM »

Sounds like you are playing a tune I want to hear.
It was Practical Classics if you're interested but I wouldn't hold your breath, they still reckon a concours car is £24k and Condition 1 at £17.5k. In contrast they have Elan sprints at £45k, something I really don't get at all. It was interesting to see how the gap is closing between the S2 & TC's though, only a few grand between them now.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 01:23:30 AM »
A concours car for £24k. Total rubbish.

The Lagoon Blue car is advertised at £32,950, LHD, needs UK rear lights, and is in un-restored original condition. 

A Regency Red car in Hampshire was offered for £34,495 and has just sold.

Average asking price for a decent TCS is now at £30,000.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
It seems on the low side for true concours condition but they've always claimed to base their guide price on actual selling prices and not dealer advertisements.  There's a big discrepancy between the Elans and Europas, something I've never really figured out. If anything I'd guess it costs more to restore a Europa than the Elan if only because there's more bodywork to paint, but the Elans are well ahead.

I checked Hagerty before doing my renewal this year and they're more in line with your thoughts. Strangely they claim the TC is the most valuable which makes me think they're not paying attention so I took an average of both guides instead.  I'd have expected an S1 to be the top earner followed by a late Special, TC & S2 but they have them all over the show.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 05:52:34 AM »
E-bay thinks a Lagoon Blue car is sold, and had an asking price of £34,950.

LHD, Federal rear lights, looks like the same car but a different higher mileage, but both for sale in Essex.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 06:40:58 AM »
I used to feel the same way about Elans, Brian. Who could choose a "traditional" sports car over a boy racer with a mid engine? I had never been all that keen on convertibles either but as I get older, I have a lot more appreciation for Elans. They're a lot easier to in and out of and view of the world is a lot better.

On the other hand, when I park or come back to my car, there is almost always at least one person who will ask me questions about it or ooh and ahh over it. It is a real attention getter. I'm not sure an Elan would generate that much interest. I would guess that's worth something to someone.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
My 64 Elan S1 gets a huge amount of attention. Won’t know about my Europa until it’s on the street next year.

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
I guess I shouldn't have spoken so soon. I'm not aware of any Elans in my area so I was guessing. It'll be interesting to gauge the difference in attention you get between your Elan and Europa - if there is any.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 10:15:15 AM »
E-bay thinks a Lagoon Blue car is sold, and had an asking price of £34,950.

LHD, Federal rear lights, looks like the same car but a different higher mileage, but both for sale in Essex.

It is the low 5,500 mile car. The advert says 29k miles, and the description says 5,536 miles.

Still needs a lot spent to convert to RHD.

How did it get a 1 year MOT with Federal red indicator lights at the rear?

All very strange.

Offline Roger

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,October 07, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
More people fuss over our Elan S3 than the TC Europa. In truth, though I like both, the Elan is more fun, particularly with the top down.