Author Topic: Shift Ujoint install.......  (Read 1469 times)

Offline cal44

Shift Ujoint install.......
« on: Friday,August 31, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
I installed the new ujoint on the rear shift linkage for the TC.  The hole for the round pin in the ujoint is smaller than the hole in the out put shaft of the transmission.  The prior owner had screwed in a bolt to hold the last ujoint.  Who is still using a round pin to secure these items.   The ujoint would need to be drilled out to the same size as the out put shaft, about 7.5mm. 

I just can't get my mind around this simple task...................

One would think this a no brainer................guess that doesn't apply to me.  Too many hits of acid watching Zeppelin live.

Mike
« Last Edit: Friday,August 31, 2012, 10:49:19 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Shift Ujoint install.......
« Reply #1 on: Friday,August 31, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
Mine still has a pin in place Mike, but it's also still on OEM sizes. Before drilling out the new joint, can you get a roll pin to be a tight fit for the hole in the output shaft ? If not I guess the choice is either to drill both out again to match a roll pin, or, and I must admit this would be my initial choice, I'd just put match the UJ and put a bolt in.

:-[  Yes, terrible engineering I know, but if it had worked before......

Too many hits of acid watching Zeppelin live.

:) made me smile. Instant memories of sitting on the floor watching Robert Plant with incredibly long hair & skin tight jeans screaming out "Immigrant Song" as the opening number in a gig they did for us students at Liverpool University in 69-70. Like you and the roll pin dilemma, I can't even remember the year.......

Offline cal44

Re: Shift Ujoint install.......
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,September 01, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »
Brian,

last time we were going by Lock Ness, the big bragging rights of the locals was Jimmy Page having a house either now or at one time on the lake...........don't know if it was true but they sure were pumping that up.

I will buy more metric drill bits and try and stay with the theme. 

Thanks
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines