Author Topic: newbie  (Read 3822 times)

Offline yelloeuropa

« on: Friday,October 25, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
 :newhere: Well I tho't I had posted a hello but it must have gone astray. I'm Rick from SC. Will get my Europa this weekend.
Have old pics but gotta learn how to post. Solid car, complete. Motor won't turn over, the clutch is blown up. Took off oil pan, looks clean. T/A turns in all 5 gears. No major damage. has been stored for 20+ yrs. in a shed filled w/ many rats nests. All
glass is there as are the 5 wheels. Under the spray bomb can yellow is green, hoping the original.  Thanks for this forum. Rick
« Last Edit: Friday,October 25, 2013, 01:26:10 PM by LotusJoe »

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 25, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
 :Welcome:
We look forward to seeing some pictures  :beerchug:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 25, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
Welcome Rick.

Where in the heck are these guys finding all these Europa's?  In garages?............
I'm waiting for a LoCort or an S1 Elan........in a garage.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline yelloeuropa

« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 25, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
Thanks Gents; I've had my Europa @ my shop earlier this summer for an eval. The p/o offered it to me then but I declined. As it turns out, my friend had cancer & pasted this last Tuesday.  I had called to see how he was, not knowing he was bad sick, nor expecting he had just past. So anyways, his estate manager called back & asked if I'd like the car??  So his car will have a new home. Always wanted a Lotus yrs. ago just never got around to finding one. To be sure, it is a unique vehicle. Since this
car is so complete, I really need to restore it & not mess w/any changes/swaps! I'll do all that with my Cimbria SS. My financial
manager/wife is not too thrilled w/Lotus's or any more projects. But I couldn't just let this classic get away. Maybe I'll try an
attachment/pic. Hope I don't lose this post. It seems my pics r too large, how do I resize? Thanks, Rick

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 25, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Pictures to big? If you have "Paint" which if your on a Windows computer should be there as part of your operating system. Open the picture up in Paint and click on "resize" put in say 50 and hit "OK". If it is still to big repeat the process. The save the file. It should then upload without an issue.

Hope this helps.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline yelloeuropa

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,October 26, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
lets see if ,this worked.

Offline yelloeuropa

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,October 26, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
wow!~?! Hey Man; I think I've got some shrunk, but can't get them to attach to a new post. Help!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,October 26, 2013, 11:02:30 PM »
Hi Rick, and  :Welcome:

Hey, another car with Cosmic alloy wheels. Mine came with them as well, a very popular fitting over this side of the pond at the time. How about starting a restoration thread and let's all know how you're getting on with it ?

Brian

Offline yelloeuropa

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,October 27, 2013, 07:05:46 PM »
Well Sir; I just got the car home today. A build thread--'um OK. Now I ain't being a S/A$$ here, but I know very little about these cars, SOOOO, I must read many tech posts & find an overhaul manual-read some more, etc. True, I've always admired them, just never jumped on one. I'll start on getting a title tomorrow. I sorta can't jump on this right away. theres two fieros,
a trike, a brat truck, a cimbrai ss, a carport roof, a new metal roof on the house-bla-bla-bla... might not need to preach to the crowd. My wife actually likes the little car for what it is & for what it could be. I'll see how things progress. I really do need to check out stuff on this forum before I start asking to many dumb ??? I'll get more pics posted shortly. Rick

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,October 27, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
You have one of these?

That's a pretty cool car!  :beerchug:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Monday,October 28, 2013, 06:48:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Rick. It's good to have you aboard. Sorry to hear about your friend. That looks like a fine project you have there. The car seems mostly complete which is a fine start.

Yup, we all understand the other obligations life throws at us, and how these can get in the way of a project. As for the tech stuff, one thing you have going in this project is that there is no simpler car to rebuild. These things certainly do have their idosynchrasies, though, but everyone here is more than willing to provide advice where we can. Parts availability is generally pretty good, both new and used. Give that frame a very thorough inspection, as well as the rear suspension trailing arms. This stuff is only 16ga sheet metal and doesn't tolerate much rust. Keep an eye out for cracks at the stressed points at the forward end ('T' section) of the frame, too. It's a good place to start. Damage can be repaired by a diligent welder, or new replacements are readily available. Good luck, and keep us posted.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline yelloeuropa

« Reply #11 on: Monday,October 28, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »
Dang, had a post all done, was adding a pic, lost it all. let me try a pic again, will post again later. Rick

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #12 on: Monday,October 28, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
Dang, had a post all done, was adding a pic, lost it all. let me try a pic again, will post again later. Rick
I found your car in the Registry at Lotus-Europa.com. But it's listed as an unregistered car. It was originally Cirrus White (L04)  :confused:
here is the link  http://www.lotus-europa.com/registry.asp
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline yelloeuropa

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,October 29, 2013, 08:25:25 AM »
Thank you Sir. Well, as it turns out, the car had been stored for 32 yrs. It had been registered here in S.C. @ some time, hence the sticker for 1980-1981, 10Th month. No matter. I'll confess there is white paint many places on the car. I'm inclined to go w/metallic forest green, w/white racing stripe, tan interior. I've been told the motor is a Renault? The cam is on the pass. side turned by a belt/pulley. I agree, the car seems very simple/straight forward to rebuild. I was very fortunate to have been a professional welder for 45 yrs., 22 in the USAF. Thanks for the kind words "&" advice.

LotusJoe, yep got a Cimbria SS, I'll post a pic as long as it doesn't P/O the forum gods. The one pictured is a beautiful machine! Yours? My handle on the Sterling forum is;  1/3RDOFF.

I'll try pics on another post. Plan to haul my Lotus to the local, weekly cruise-in this Saturday, maybe someone will offer $$$$.
I can do the car, just so many projects going. Well-shucks, would anyone here want the car?? Rick

Offline yelloeuropa

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,October 29, 2013, 08:50:45 AM »
pics, I hope.