Author Topic: Front cover removal with engine in situ  (Read 1055 times)

Offline YellowS4DHC

Front cover removal with engine in situ
« on: Tuesday,July 16, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the front timing cover with the engine still in place in the car (I may need to replace the water pump)?  I believe the WSM says to remove the engine and then remove both the head and the sump. 

I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions from anyone with experience replacing water pumps on a Europa.

thanks
Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Front cover removal with engine in situ
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,July 16, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
Yes, I've done it. I'm just off out now (shopping  :'(  ) but will post how I did it later this morning. (I'm assuming it's the TC engine ?)

Edit - back now, I really love wandering aimlessly around supermarkets putting shiny sparkly things in the truck while my wife takes them out again.....

Right. I've replaced the pump in my TC with the engine in place. It's not easy although quite do-able if you don't want to remove the engine/gearbox, but there's still a lot of dismantling to do.

I removed the luggage tray & propped up the lid for easier access, you can sit in the engine bay whilst you work. The head needs to come off, which means the exhaust system/carbs although I suppose you might be able to leave the latter bolted to the head inlets ?  I just pulled them off though. 

The head itself is straightforward, I just set the engine to TDC, slacken off the timing chain adjuster and remove the timing pulleys to avoid splitting the chain and then leave the cams in place in their bearing holders.

Do remember there's a hidden bolt going upwards into the head from the front cover which is easy to overlook.

The sump also needs to come off, not so much for removing the front cover but for making good joints when you replace it all. It's the same with the head, I think you might be able to remove the cover with the head in situ but you'd really struggle to make a good seal when re-assembling.

Once the head/sump are free you can get access to the front cover bolts by sitting on the engine block and doing it all by feel/mirrors. There's just enough room between the engine & bulkhead for the bolts and cover to slide off.  I used combinations of open ended spanners and 1/4" drive sockets for this part.

You'll need a press to remove & replace the impeller/shaft, I used a 6" bench vice which is fine. The impeller is an interference fit on the shaft so some care is needed in getting the correct clearances (0.025" ?) when you re-assemble because you're not going to be doing it twice.

It's probably one of the longest jobs to do on the engine, bar a complete rebuild of course. The first time I did the Europa it was over a weekend because I was working & needed the car. The second time I spent a week at it, but I'm lazier these days.....

Brian
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 17, 2013, 02:12:17 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
To ensure the job is done right, the engine should be removed. As Brian states, the issue is ensuring a good seal with all of the gaskets you'll be replacing. Reinstalling components by feel and in an awkward position probably won't instill a great deal of confidence that you haven't dislodged a gasket. It will suck big time if you have to redo the job again due to a coolant or oil leak. You may luck out, but why take the chance.

Did a water pump replacement last spring, took four weekends to remove the engine, replace the water pump and replace the engine with one person mostly.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca 

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »
I'm not sure what the real gain is , :confused: in doing it in place. If your that deep in tear down a few more hours to remove the engine seems worth it to me. Besides, it is not that hard to remove the engine. And the ease of access once it's out may will probably save time, in the long run. I agree with Joji, the piece of mind gained by removing the engine is worth the effort.

Just my 2 or 3 cents worth
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,July 28, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »
thank you all for the input.  The head is already off and just back from the machine shop.  I'm debating how much farther to go while the head is off. 

Ordinarily I'd just pull the engine and do the pump and put in a fresh clutch disc at the same time but I'm in the process of moving and I'd like to button the car up sooner rather than later.

regards
Rick

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Monday,July 29, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
Rick,
I know the feeling about the move.  Although we are not moving for another five to six months I don't want to get into tear down mode either.  With my luck something will go South on me.......then I'm mad at myself.

And doing work on the new place before we move in kills any Lotus free time.........at least that is what I would hear from the Supreme Leader..................
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #6 on: Monday,July 29, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
Mike,
your circumstances parallel mine very closely.

We will be leaving CA sometime in the next yr, exactly when is not clear.   Like you, we're busy fixing up our house and shop so all will be ready when we're finally able to move in.  Two of our cars are in various stages of disassembly so I don't want to add a third.  We have too many boxes of parts as it is now.

Good luck with your move.

regards
Rick