Author Topic: license plate lights source  (Read 2069 times)

Offline YellowS4DHC

license plate lights source
« on: Sunday,March 10, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
Does anyone know what car the Europa license plate lights came from?  My car is missing the outer lenses and retainers and are now just hanging loose back there - very untidy.  I'd like to get the original items (or something close) so I can use the existing cut out in the body without modification if possible.

thanks
Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: license plate lights source
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 10, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
Hi Rick,

If they are the same as mine, then they are Hella units and still made. Very popular amongst the caravan brigade, believe it or not ! I think they are still used on Mercedes vans or something, anyway there's still a market big enough to manufacture new ones in both chrome and black finish.  I made these notes;

Number plate lights on Elan & Europa : Hella Part Number for the Chrome one is 2KA001378-001

And there's a guy in Germany selling something that looks the same on Ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150753633135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Brian

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #2 on: Monday,March 11, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »
Thanks, Brian - I'll see if a Google search of the Hella part no. turns up a source.

BTW, I didn't know they are the same as on the Elan.  If I recall, the pic in the Europa parts manual suggests that the lenses have a flat profile while my Elan lights appear a bit more rounded.

thanks again for the head's up.

Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Monday,March 11, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
It might depend on which models you're looking at because Lotus never seemed to me to have a consistency in what they used at the time ?

But I can say that the ones on my '68 S3 Elan & '72 TC are identical. After the last respray the Europa one looked very second hand & rusty and I rummaged in my parts stock and pulled out the new ones that I'd bought for the next Elan respray - spot on identical.  I have seen completely flat ones the same size but without the chrome section at autojumbles, so maybe it's just down to what was cheapest at the time ?

Brian

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,March 12, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »
Brian,
You're right.  The pic I looked at in the parts manual is a bit poor and seemed to be different from my S4 lights, but on closer examination they are the same part. 

Now the only problem is finding some that are affordable.  I have a lot of other stuff to get and this is a relatively low priority.

regards
Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 12, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »
Well, I've just bought a couple from that Ebay link from Germany to replace the pair on the Elan after I respray it this summer.   When they arrive (and hopefully are identical to my old ones ?),  I'll post a picture of exactly what you get.

Brian

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Friday,March 22, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
Update on the German source via Ebay; Yep, they are the right ones so the part numbers are ok. The units themselves are made in India (a sticker attached, I've not suddenly developed clairvoyant powers  :)  )   The gaskets are black rubber which I assume is right, mine are so old and faded they're a sort of greyish colour. 

One thing I would add if anyone is thinking of buying via Ebay, the postage costs more  than the actual lamp unit. That's because the guy sends a tracked parcel and it costs the same for one unit as it does for a dozen. I stocked up for the Elan & Europa, for you guys in the US it might be worth considering a group buy ?

Brian