Author Topic: Loctite for rear hubs  (Read 2124 times)

Offline YellowS4DHC

Loctite for rear hubs
« on: Saturday,November 10, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
I need to pull my rear hubs to replace some abused wheel studs.  In preparing for that, I've read that the rear hubs, especially the left, require a "retaining compound" (not to be confused with a thread locking compound) when mating the hub to the axle.

Does anyone know what Loctite compound is preferred here? Loctite markets several retaining compounds and I'm eager to know what others use for this application.

thanks
Rick

'72 Europa TC

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Loctite for rear hubs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 10, 2012, 11:01:04 PM »
Hi Rick,

I can't help you with the current grade number for loctite because I bought a 50ml bottle years ago and it's still on the shelf !  You're right that it's not the normal thread locking compounds, you need something that has greater gap filling properties.  It used to be marketed as "Bearing Retainer", designed for fitting bearings into worn housings which would otherwise be scrapped.  It's a thick green liquid which sets very hard and the only way to pull out a bearing after it's set is to heat the housing to break down the loctite.

You only need a thin smear on the splines before bolting it all together and it sets very quickly (so no "trial fits" !)   It's so tough I wouldn't be surprised if you could undo the hub nut afterwards and carry on driving with just the loctite holding it together, it really does take a lot of effort to pull it apart afterwards.

If yours has been assembled with Loctite then this is how I remove mine.  I strip down as much as possible but leave the hub nut loose to protect the threads,  mount the puller in place and then play a propane flame around the hub itself. You don't need that much heat, just keep tension on the puller and it will gradually ease off in a minute or so.

A quick look on their web page makes me think it's probably the same as grade 638 these days.

Brian

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 11, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »
Brian,
I didn't see a 638 on the site I was perusing nor did I get anywhere on Loctite's site (?).  On a hunch, I opened up a Google query for Loctite 635" since a Loctite "35" is referenced in the TC shop manual supplement.  Turns out, a Loctite 635 retaining compound does exist and is available. 

Here's one description:  "635 Retaining Compound is a high strength, high viscosity, single component anaerobic retaining adhesive for cylindrical joints. it cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. 50 ml bottle. This product complies to MIL-R-46082 TY 3...."

It is also green in color, however it has a slow cure to allow fitment of parts so it sounds like something different from what you have.  This 635 stuff is expensive, I think a 50ml bottle runs 40-50 USD.   Handles temps up to 300 deg F.  The Loctite product number is 63531.

I think this may be the stuff I'm looking for.

regards
Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 11, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »
Hi Rick,

From the description you give, 635 sounds very much like the stuff I have used, and even years ago when I bought mine I remember thinking it was expensive.  $40-$50, converted into GBP sounds about right these days.  50ml is way too much for both hubs but on my experience the compound seems to have an exceptionally long shelf life and I've also used it on one aluminium bearing carrier where the circlip groove was damaged.

This was the link to 638

http://www.loctite.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_uke/hs.xsl/fullproduct-list-loctite-4995.htm?iname=Loctite+638&countryCode=uke&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=1000000IZOE

I think maybe I mislead you on setting times. The page quotes 4 minutes but if you assemble everything, leave it a minute and suddenly realize you've not put the spacer on then when you pull it apart you can feel resistance and it's clearly going off.  So you end up cleaning it all in thinners and starting again.  (ask me how I know ::) )

Offline Roger

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 12, 2012, 07:28:09 AM »
Why not try Ray at Rdent.com? He sold me the right stuff a few years back- I think he said it was 35, but might have been 635.

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 12, 2012, 08:14:20 AM »
Roger,
This morning I was rummaging around in the garage and - lo and behold - I found an old bottle of 635 in a box with some Land Rover wheel bearings.  I don't even remember buying it. 

The bottle must be over twenty yrs old, but I can do a sample test to see it it still sets up.  I think I need to clean out my garage, God only knows what else I'll find. :)

Rick

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »
Just a heads up that anaerobic compounds similar to Loctite products have a relatively short shelf life. To ensure maximum performance I recommend getting a fresh bottle of the product, preferably from a high volume supplier to ensure fresh product. To extend shelf life, store unused product in the refridgerator.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Roger

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
To extend shelf life, store unused product in the refrigerator.

That's going to go down well with 'Er Indoors!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
To extend shelf life, store unused product in the refrigerator.

That's going to go down well with 'Er Indoors!
;D Agreed. I do a lot of model building and therefore use a lot of CA type adhesives. Much to her chagrin the egg storage section of the fridge is always filled with my various glues. That problem eventually went away, though....
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor