Author Topic: SU carb conversion on a TC  (Read 3758 times)

Offline YellowS4DHC

SU carb conversion on a TC
« on: Sunday,October 21, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »
I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding the Europa TC I recently acquired. :newhere:

My '72 TC has the Big Valve engine with a SU carb conversion (look like 1.75" throats).  The conversion looks reasonably tidy, although the throttle and choke linkage was a bit cheesy and had to be reworked.  It is a Federal car, and all the smog stuff appears to have been pulled.

Is this a particularly desirable conversion?  I was actually hoping for the Strombergs since I've got them on my S4 Elan and have some familiarity with them.  What is the collective wisdom regarding these carbs?  Should I keep them or try to find something better?

thanks
Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: SU carb conversion on a TC
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 21, 2012, 10:33:42 PM »
Hi Rick, and  :Welcome:

I've not heard of an SU conversion although I can't see why not as in the UK they seemed to be almost equivalents, a bit like the Dellorto/Weber thing. Having run cars with both SUs & Strombergs, I have a personal preference for SU which is nothing to do with performance, just that I think they are a simpler design that works equally well.   From memory the critical things were to centralise the jets properly to allow the main piston to move freely both hot & cold.  Apart from that they were pretty much "set-up and forget".

Tuning-wise there are (or were) a standard range of jet sizes with many needle options, the differences in the needles being the gradients/diameters along the length to allow differing mixture strengths for any given height to suit where your cams/engine/ignition advance needed more fuel than a slower cam/etc.

There are a few good reference books out there, a quick search on Amazon will no doubt bring up a page full. The one I had listed all the dimensions of the jets & needles together with typical applications, which made it quite easy to get a start point when installing SUs on an engine that didn't previously have them.

Brian 

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 22, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Rick. The SU conversion for the Twin Cam is new to me as well, though as Brian said, it seems like a reasonable conversion. Personally I can't offer any advice as I've had little experiance with them. Good luck with you quest, and I'm sure other forum members will have some words of wisdom for you.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 22, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
There is an article submitted by John Abbott in the "Articles and Repair Modifications" section of LotusEuropa.org on this conversion.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/images/WorkshopManual/Carb1.pdf
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/images/WorkshopManual/Carb2.pdf
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/images/WorkshopManual/Carb3.pdf

« Last Edit: Monday,October 22, 2012, 11:13:05 AM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 22, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »
That's a good find Joe,  someone has already been down the path !

/off topic, trivia mode

what does SU stand for and how old is the design ?

now no cheating and looking on google......

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,October 23, 2012, 07:58:08 AM »

/off topic, trivia mode

what does SU stand for and how old is the design ?

now no cheating and looking on google......

Well, I know SU stands for Skinners Union. It's an old carb, but I don't know how old... I'm guessing late 30s?? I also don't know the history behind the name Skinners Union... always seemed like a funny name for a carburettor. :o
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Roger

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,October 23, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »
The founder's name was Skinner - the family was in the leather business.

The basic design principle is very old - pre-WW 1 I think, but I'd have to look it up. The SU carburetter group came into the ownership of BMC and another maker (Standard-Triumph ?) didn't want to pay royalties to BMC but wanted a constant-depression carb, so got together with Zenith and came up with the Z-S.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,October 23, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »
How on earth do guys from your side of the pond know such detail about us Brits and our quaint little motor industry ???

Never mind, it's 10/10 and gold star award to you both !   :trophy:

The company SU is very old, vintage stuff from the 1900s and it was a shoemaker/leather family that started it going.  Apparently the original Skinners Union carbs used a leather diaphragm or something, hence the connection.   

Roger's right on the money with the Triumph/Stromberg connection as well, they were trying to dodge the SU patents but it was the "Skinners' Union" as a company name that has stayed as one of those useless facts cluttering up my memory ever since I heard it back in the early 80s.

Brian

Offline Roger

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,October 25, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »
Well, the truth of the matter is that I am an Ex-Pat Englishman, retired and living in Texas where I've been for most of the last 16 years.
But I did live the first 47 years of my life in England, so it's probably not too surprising if I still remember some of what I learned back then!

Offline Roger

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,October 30, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
Oh, and I just remembered, there's a guy on the Elan forum with SUs on his Twinc - HIF6s I think, and a couple of others as well. This is not uncharted territory!

Seehttp://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-plus-f13/stromberg-carbs-t26449.html