Author Topic: replacing windshield  (Read 670 times)

Offline aspares

replacing windshield
« on: Sunday,October 20, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
I am repainting the Europa and thinking about installing a new windshield. What is the best way to remove  it and are there any suppliers with the chrome trim? I have the black trim and could stay with that but prefer the chrome.
Thanks,
Martin

Offline BDA

Re: replacing windshield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 20, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
The original "chrome" trim is no longer available but r.d. enterprises has a very similar trim that is a little narrower. They also have reproduction corners that match. It's not cheap but it's probably better than the original. As for installing the windshield, I spent a long time looking for someone to install my windshield (hopefully the installers in your town will be more accommodating!). I finally found someone who did a decent job but swore he would never do it again. There are people on this forum who have installed their own windshield without issues. Recently, a guy said he replaced his. IIRC, he said he followed the directions in the workshop manual using butyl tape but I might be off. Maybe someone can correct me and/or point to the post I'm thinking of. You might try doing a search in the meantime.

I would say that my insurance with Hagerty paid for the complete cost of replacement (I wish I had gotten r.d.'s trim since they were paying). If you have Hagerty, you might check with them about it. If you don't, you might consider going with them.

Offline gideon

Re: replacing windshield
« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »
When I removed my windscreen I just pulled all the old trim out, then gave it a gentle push from the inside.  The old butyl sealant gave up it's grip on the glass far too easily.