Author Topic: Pro Tips - advice when working on your Europa  (Read 651 times)

Offline HelpMyLotus

Pro Tips - advice when working on your Europa
« on: Sunday,June 10, 2018, 07:21:29 PM »
I saw a thread like this on another car forum.  People posted tips about working on their cars that helped and saved time for others later.

I'll start. 

I fiddled around with removing the engine from my car.  I have a hoist with a fairly long reach, but it was no where near long enough to get to the center of the car.  I found that by building a cradle of 2x4 boards that were screwed together and strapped to a set of car dollys I could rest the engine on the cradle, remove the motor mounts, drop the car down and roll the engine to the rear of the car close enough to pull the engine with the hoist. 

This took me a few days of pondering as I removed parts from the engine.  I suspect that removing the engine with an overhead hoist or a come-along from the ceiling may be easier, but this seemed to be my best bet.

I did have a trouble moving the drive shafts far enough out of the way, but it wasn't too hard.

I also realized the oil pressure line is connected beneath the carburetors.  I may have to reinstall a new line.  Whoops.

I'm sure I'll be buying nylock nuts and bolts for the various bolts removed.   Whether it's age or just quality, many are rusted or worn down.  I certainly don't want anything coming loose either.

As I do this process of rebuilding the water pump I'll post pictures.  Hopefully I can help someone in the future or others will have suggestions for me.  Don't worry about telling me about the cartridge water pump.  I will be rebuilding the stock one and plan to drive the car often. If I can get another 15 years, I'm fine with that.

Any other suggestions while I'm in there?  I have all new gaskets, timing chain, motor mounts and carb rebuild kits.

Offline andy harwood

Re: Pro Tips - advice when working on your Europa
« Reply #1 on: Monday,June 11, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
Maybe new rubber bushings for the trailing arms and transaxle?

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,June 16, 2018, 05:10:55 PM »
See my Water Pump Woes for the in depth description, but be sure you put the flange on the CORRECT WAY when rebuilding your water pump.  Especially before you assemble the engine and have the head bolted on.  DAMN!

Offline Roger

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 18, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
I remove the engine and transmission by dropping the onto dollies then using my shop crane to lift the car and wheel the dollies out from underneath....