Author Topic: Could this be a Lost JPS?  (Read 886 times)

Offline Sherman Kaplan

Could this be a Lost JPS?
« on: Friday,December 01, 2017, 06:37:03 PM »
Saw this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Lotus-Europa-Special-SPECIAL-TWIN-CAM-BIG-VALVE-5-SPEED/372152402795?hash=item56a603036b:g:QisAAOSwa3BaH2GF&vxp=mtr

Could it be a JPS?

If you scroll down to one of the dash pictures there seems to be a JPS plaque.  Looks like number 134.
The dealer says it was originally black, but the paint code looks like L16 (Ford Tawny).  Black is L15.  However, I'm getting older and my eyes are not what they used to be so the numbers may be different. :)

Sherman

Offline BDA

Re: Could this be a Lost JPS?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,December 01, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »
It certainly looks like it was once black but the paint code on the plaque is definitely not L15. The paint code sure looks like L16 but there is a slim possibility it is L18. The JPS dash plaque means very little since it could have come from another car. As far as I know, the only differences between a JPS and a TCS is the livery and that plaque. I would say unless Andy Graham, the Lotus archivist, could verify that that car started life as a JPS (I'm not sure he could do that - I had read an article about the JPS Europas on lotus-europa.com several years ago about the mystery of the JPS Europas several years ago and I thought it said that all (some) of them were tagged with the plaque at the dealer and not the factory.) that it should be considered a regular TCS. The seller is not advertising it as a JPS. Good for him.

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Could this be a Lost JPS?
« Reply #2 on: Friday,December 01, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
I would agree with BDA. Crappy paint job, a non-running engine and lots of replacement of parts that have disintegrated.  That alone is at least $15K of spend. But rare AC system. I wonder where the 134 JPS tag came from?