Author Topic: TCS Shift Linkage Center Bushing - Polyurethane  (Read 10898 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: TCS Shift Linkage Center Bushing - Polyurethane
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,August 21, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
 :trophy:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,August 21, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
I was thinking the very same thing about the jam nut instead of the roll pin.  What I don't get is why a jam nut was not used in the original design...........Input please?

By the way, since I am doing the shift linkage  your writings do give me more insight.  Thanks
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,August 21, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
good feedback there, it's nice to hear when there's a successful result.

If you strip the shift lever again, would one of those gap-filling compounds that you use on worn bearing housings be good enough to hold the bronze bush in place ? They don't take up massive gaps, but a few thou' is normally ok.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,August 23, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
What I don't get is why a jam nut was not used in the original design...........Input please?
  Yes, I've been wondering about this as well.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #19 on: Thursday,August 23, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
What I don't get is why a jam nut was not used in the original design...........Input please?
  Yes, I've been wondering about this as well.

Trying to figure out just why Lotus did things the way they did is the road to madness.... :)

My first guess was that they had a jig to set the roll pin position and so it was easier on the production line. Then came the cost element - they'd have to stock 2 types of nuts and Chapman was known for cutting out cost wherever he could.

But my best guess is that once set at the factory with a roll pin, it was "fixed for good".  Chapman hated people tinkering with "his" cars, always saying that they messed them up and that was why the production cars had fixed dampers, spring platforms, suspension links with no adjustment, etc.  Setting up the shift (as we all know) is a hassle and maybe he just wanted to stop any of the owners/garage mechanics from taking it apart, failing to put it back correctly and giving them headaches with warranty claims ?

Brian

Offline 3929R

« Reply #20 on: Friday,August 24, 2012, 08:23:21 AM »
Then came the cost element - they'd have to stock 2 types of nuts and Chapman was known for cutting out cost wherever he could.
  There only needs to be one nut for rotational adjustment. 

But my best guess is that once set at the factory with a roll pin, it was "fixed for good".  Chapman hated people tinkering with "his" cars, always saying that they messed them up and that was why the production cars had fixed dampers, spring platforms, suspension links with no adjustment, etc.  Setting up the shift (as we all know) is a hassle and maybe he just wanted to stop any of the owners/garage mechanics from taking it apart, failing to put it back correctly and giving them headaches with warranty claims ?
This makes Lotus sense.  If my pin had not worn, then it would have continued to shift as designed, then I would not have tinkered with it, then it would not have been out of adjustment, then I would have never wanted the nut for adjustment...  Good thing nothing else on this car is likely to wear and thus need adjustment.   :BEER3: 
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA