Author Topic: Oil and filter questions  (Read 1409 times)

Offline phil

Oil and filter questions
« on: Sunday,September 24, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
Hello All,
Finally getting around to changing the oil and filter on the TC. The filter was a Mahle OC79 which I have taken off, what is a good make to replace it with, would a motor factor have one, or do I need to get one from SJS or similar.
Also, I see the sump plug washer looks like nylon and not the old copper style, which is best?
And lastly, I have looked on an old invoice and the oil that was in it was Penrite 20/60. Is this a good one or is there one that is readily available from a factors, bearing in mind I do only do about a 1000 miles a year?

Rewgards    Phil

Offline jbcollier

Re: Oil and filter questions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,September 24, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
 There is no need to change the oil filter if you are only doing a 1K a year or so.  If the filter is new-ish, you could just take the filter off, drain and reuse it with fresh oil.
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 24, 2017, 07:53:35 PM by jbcollier »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,September 24, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
As for oil, Penrite is good.  Really though, pretty much any 20/50, 20/60 would be fine.  The twin cam's have an oil "well" at each valve so the cam lobes are always well lubricated.  In fact, that's why they are famous for burning the stuff through the guides.

Flat tappet/follower engines where the cam faces are drip/spray lubed are another matter entirely.  The reduction is the amounts of certain additives (to help prolong converter life) has caused issues with premature lobe/follower wear.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,September 24, 2017, 11:53:06 PM »
Hi Phil

As JB says, if you're only doing 1k a year then if the filter is new there is no need to change it. If the car is "new to you" and this is your first oil change then I'd be tempted to fit a new one so you are sure of the service life.  The original schedules were to change the oil every 3,000 miles and the filter at 6,000 miles, so a new filter is going to last you for 6 years  !

The filter is nothing special, it's a common Ford part and I bought an equivalent from my local Halfords. Yes, that common  :)

The sump plug washer on mine is copper, I've never used nylon ones so can't comment as to whether it is a better option or not. I'd guess OEM was copper.

As for oil, here's where I might need a flame suit. 

I'm using Mobil 0/40 in the Elan & Europa.  I've run with Mobil 1 since the 80s, initially their full synthetic 10/50 and when that became harder to get locally I moved to the more modern 0/40.  The lower cold rating doesn't increase leakage and moving to 0/40 didn't show any difference in the pressure gauge readings, either at idle or above 2,000rpm.    Cold start is supposedly when most wear occurs and I'd sooner get oil circulating easily,  hence my preference for the lower cold rating. 

I don't think I'd go to 0/30 on an old engine myself, but it's interesting to note that when the TC engine was fitted to the first Elans, the recommended oils were 10/30 grade in the S1 Elan manual. That changed to 20/50 later in the 60s of course but I did find the original reference intriguing especially as these days we're heading back to 30w oil for economy reasons (amongst others)

The ZDDP levels that JB refers to has been a controversial thing for a while as it has been reduced for modern engines. Back on my Mobil1 fanboy thing, Mobil are one of the few companies which publish their zinc levels alongside suggested applications. https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

But in conclusion you can buy "classic" 20/50 from Halfords which will be fine and what the engine was using back in the 70s. Or you can use a modern synthetic and at 1k/year you'll be equally fine.

Brian
« Last Edit: Monday,September 25, 2017, 09:08:33 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,September 25, 2017, 06:08:59 AM »
+1 on the above.

I have been reading old Club Lotus magazines and in the late 80s and early 90s the recommended oil for TC was Mobil 1 10/50.

Nylon washers should not be tightened as much as you would for a copper washer.  Otherwise they may split.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #5 on: Monday,September 25, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
Hi Phil,

I use the Halfords filter HOF 203 for the twin cam in my Elan. Cheap and readily available.

As for the oil, I use Millers oil. Easy for me to get hold of and the distributor here in Ireland has a +2!

Regards,

Pete

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Monday,September 25, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
Just to throw my two cents into the conversation; I use Ford FL-400s oil filters. A good quality filter that is reasonably priced and readily available. I run Castrol 25w-50 in the hot summer months and 10w-40 in the spring and fall. I make sure my pre winter storage oil change is 10w-40 so start up in the spring is easy (though 10w-30 would probably be better for spring start up). Also, and I'm sure I will get some raised eyebrows for this, I change my oil & filter every 1000 miles (though I'm not pushing this interval as a suggestion).
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline phil

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 26, 2017, 10:36:57 PM »
Morning all,
I have just purchased the Halfords HOF203 filter and Classic 20W50 oil, I just need to measure the sump plug diameter and get a copper crush washer, many thanks for all your help. (It seems as though there was no washer, copper or otherwise fitted before, I wondered why it was weeping a little!!)
Regards

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,September 26, 2017, 11:57:41 PM »
Hi Phil,

Burton power sell a sump plug which has a small, but powerful, magnet set into it. Gold plug I think the product is. I haven't fitted it yet. I'll wait until the next oil change. I've also heard others just putting a strong magnet on the filter housing itself!

Regards,

Pete