Author Topic: V8 in a Europa & a whole lot of mods  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Mike Surber

Re: V8 in a Europa & a whole lot of mods
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
Anybody know what trans they used in either of these cars? Can't see the GKN one. But the Ford powered one certainly isn't a stock (renault) unit. Porsche maybe?

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »
Picked up the heads I just bought today. They're in great shape. Doesn't look like the engine had all that many miles on it from the lack of buildup of crud LOL Once my gasket set gets here I can get to work on the porting.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #33 on: Wednesday,March 08, 2017, 04:01:29 AM »
This article may be worth reading as it goes through some of the challenges on installing a V8 in the Europa and the parts used.

http://47d.org/47d/might.html

Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday,March 08, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
I read that article & can't really understand why they had so much trouble. Unless it was because of the ZF trans they wanted to use? I did exactly what was mentioned in the article. I opened up the "Y" of the frame to accommodate the width of the engine. I also reinforced it wit 2" square tubing. I'd thought about their other solution too of building a rear structure & welding it on. The engine to tranny was easy for me though. I just called Kennedy Engineering & had them make up a kit. Adapter, fly wheel & clutch. Fits just fine I'll need to put a bump in the firewall for the water pump pulley unless I get an electric one.

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday,March 08, 2017, 08:36:06 PM »
Assembled the ducting to check everything. Looks good so took it back apart & started all the finish welding. Including closing off all the open ends of the tubes. I just don't like the ends open. It looks "unfinished" or sloppy to me. Could be the silversmith in me I guess. LOL Open ends & lumpy bumpy welds that should be dressed down just don't make it for me. I do a fairly credible job of torch welding (I'm not allowed to do any arc welding. Because of my pacemaker ) Actually I rather enjoy torch welding, easier to fill in those blow throughs LOL

What I do when not working on my cars LOL

Offline BDA

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday,March 08, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
Nice work on the car and the jewelry!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #37 on: Thursday,March 09, 2017, 05:08:59 AM »
I'm impressed with your vision and commitment to build a V8 powered Europa. Nice Jewelry work too!

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #38 on: Thursday,March 09, 2017, 05:35:09 AM »
Nice welding, 'stacks of dimes'. And your silver smithing - fantastic work!

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #39 on: Friday,March 10, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Thanks guys it's a long road. But really I'm my own worst enemy LOL I keep changing my mind on engines & chassis, the body too. But now I have a pretty clear picture in my mind of what I want. After I get the body to the stage I can cut off the nose & tail. To take molds off for nice clean parts. I'm seriously considering making an entirely new tube frame. It's always bothered me that there is no way to adjust the front suspension. Even with adjustable A arms it's a pain to do any adjustments to the alignment. There's also the issue of cracking at the "T". Even with the stock engines let alone the higher torque of a V8 & the loads from bigger wheels & tires (15").

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #40 on: Friday,March 24, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »
Just been chugging along on my Lotus. Got the intake manifold the other day. Needs a lot of porting though & not a very good casting job (very rough). Picked up my crank & ordered the bearings today. The cam, springs & lifters came from Crower today too. In the mean time just working away on the body mods. Trying to get it ready to pull molds off. Still a lot of work before that happens though I'm afraid.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #41 on: Friday,March 24, 2017, 09:35:51 PM »
A good manifold manufacturer will leave the ports small and rough as they have no idea what tune of engine you are building.  You need to port to suit your chosen heads and carbs.

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #42 on: Friday,March 24, 2017, 10:46:59 PM »
Not this small It's for a given engine & should be close to the standard port size. I've had to hog out almost enough aluminum to cast another manifold. I've bought quite a few performance manifolds in my time. But this is so bad I've seen better castings come out of High School shop classes. One carb base port is so far off I'm going to have to have part of it welded up & take nearly 1/2" off the other side.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #43 on: Friday,March 24, 2017, 10:53:56 PM »
One carb base port is so far off I'm going to have to have part of it welded up & take nearly 1/2" off the other side.

:o      Hmm, now that's a bit more than what I'd class as "fine tuning" !  It sounds like either the company didn't have the correct template to work to or maybe a core moved during casting ?

Offline Mike Surber

« Reply #44 on: Saturday,March 25, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »
I've bought Edelbrock manifolds mostly in the past. You can put them right on & use them as is & everything is fine. This one the runners & ports were so small. That like I told my wife (who doesn't understand engines & porting) "If I put this on the car as is. It'd have the worst case of Asthma you ever saw" That she understood (she has it).