Author Topic: Filling water in ALL of the system  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Lyngeled

Filling water in ALL of the system
« on: Wednesday,December 20, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »
Hi
I have drained all of the cooling fluid and filled new fluid in again. But it feels like there is not water all the way around the tubes. Some feels too soft. How can I be sure if the engine gets cooling?

I had it running for a few minutes and the first tube after the pump got warmer. Not out by the radiator.

Regards

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Filling water in ALL of the system
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,December 20, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
The air won't get out of the system until the whole coolant system is fully up to temperature. Plus you have to bleed the air from the top of the radiator. There is a very small valve on the top of the radiator.

BUT.

Wait until the water cools down before taking off the pressure cap and filling the system. Don't forget the antifreeze.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,December 20, 2017, 01:59:50 PM »
Be sure to turn on the heater when you bring it up to temperature before you 'burp' your system.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,December 20, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »
Renault or TC engine?

Offline Nick74R

« Reply #4 on: Friday,December 22, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »
I have found the best and most effective way of filling mid engine cars with coolant is to jack up the rear of the car and have the heater valve open. SLOWLY pour in the coolant into the filler neck on the swirl pot/expansion tank which allows the air to bleed at the same time and fill the tank half way only. Put the car back on the ground and allow engine to run. The pipes to and from the rad will eventually go warm, the time it takes dependant on what thermostat is fitted and what poundage the rad cap is.. When the engine is up to temperature, the water will find its own level. Let is go cold, remove pressure cap and top up if necessary. Too much water in it to start with will see the system overflow when it reaches its hotest.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Friday,December 22, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
Procedures for filling and bleeding the cooling system are in the factory repair manuals which can be found here:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm

As the high point on TC equipped Europas is right above the thermostat, it is easier to fill and bleed.  I would still remove the temp sensor as filling myself.

Renault equipped Europas are another matter entirely.  The thermostat is not the high point and air locks are guaranteed if not bled correctly.  This leads to overheating, head warping, etc, and the notion that the Renault engine is not reliable.  Funny really, as Renault was always careful to include the required bleed valves and outlined everything necessary in its manuals.  Bled properly, there are no issues.

Don't wing it.  Fill and bleed a Renault engine properly.

If you have modified your engine, or have no idea if a PO might have, basically EVERY high point in the system requires a bleed valve.  There are usually two or three at the engine and one at the rad.  Fill the cooling system with these bleed valves open as well as the heater valve.  Close as each starts to flow clear coolant without air bubbles.  Start the engine.  As it warms up, open each bleed valve in turn to release any air.  Do this repeatedly and keep the coolant level up as well.

The cooling system is fully bled when:

- the thermostat is fully open,

- the heater is blowing hot air,

- each bleeder valve when opened releases only clear coolant with no air bubbles.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Friday,December 22, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
 Thanks again JB for the link , I got a lot of reading now to do as you know I have the Renault .
Dakazman

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,December 24, 2017, 02:10:09 AM »
Would one of those vacuum filler tools work? They create a vacuum in the cooling system and then uses this to fill it with coolant?

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,December 27, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
Vacuum on the cooling system is not so good of an idea!  I think it would collapse all the radiator tubes, which are fairly fragile. 

Jerry Rude
4005R

Offline Lyngeled

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,January 03, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
It's a Renault.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,January 03, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
Then bleed it properly or it will overheat.

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2work/k/index.htm#2

Bleed points

Rad (#3):

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2parts/k/index.htm

Carb bleed point:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2parts/e/el.htm

If the carb hoses are plugged off (good idea) then be sure to bleed at the water pump (#2):

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2parts/e/ep.htm

During the initial fill, I keep the bleed points open until they flow clear.  Then I start the engine and crack each bleeder repeatedly until there are no more bubbles.