Author Topic: Seat Runners  (Read 1396 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Seat Runners
« on: Sunday,April 30, 2017, 12:28:07 AM »
When the screens leak, and the cars have been sitting for a long time, the carpets stay wet, and the seat runners rust badly, stopping the seat sliding, and if the seat doesn't slide, you cannot get at the bolts holding the runners from the floor, so the only option is to drill the 4 bolts per seat from underneath, which is tiring, often damages the oval threaded bobbins mounded into the shell, and breaks many drill bits.

Having got the bolts drilled out of 4483R, the seats were repairable, but the seat runners were so badly rusted, that they cannot move, even after overnight soaking in acid.

So I went in search of replacements, and this is what I found:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/371062257359

I have ordered two and will report on their suitability. They will probably need stretching apart to get the right spacing, but I am hopeful they can be made to work with new holes drilled and large penny washers to spread the loads.

Alex in Norfolk.
« Last Edit: Sunday,April 30, 2017, 12:30:00 AM by 4129R »

Offline 4129R

Re: Seat Runners
« Reply #1 on: Friday,May 05, 2017, 07:57:17 AM »
Those seat runners can easily be made to work very well.

They originals are further apart, so the U bar used to slide the runners has to be bent apart, and the straight bits made parallel again, and they go straight on the floor with no drilling of extra holes required.

They even come with round spacer washers to clear the carpet.

But you will need to buy Allen headed 5/16" x 1.25" long bolts to fit them to the floor, as the channel they go into is very narrow, and prevents turning a hexagonal bolt head.

Now I have to find those bolts, and how easy it is to bolt the runners to the bottom of the seats. That should be the easy bit.

Alex in Norfolk
 :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Friday,May 05, 2017, 08:05:07 AM »
Very interesting, Alex! Could you post a few pictures of them in your car and with the seat?

Offline 4129R

« Reply #3 on: Friday,May 05, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »
I think the photo of the whole assembly bolted to the floor will be too large a file size until I can re-size on Monday.

Here is why you need allen headed bolts. I have just ordered loads in S/S. They will work for the exhaust manifold too. They are not easy to remove, so S/S allen bolts in the difficult to reach bits should be an improvement. 

Well...... I put the photo on the screen of my laptop, took a photo from afar with my iPhone, used M/S snipping tool, and downsized it so it fitted.

I think you can see the general idea. They slide beautifully just by lifting the bar slightly. Success.
« Last Edit: Friday,May 05, 2017, 08:23:03 AM by 4129R »

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Friday,May 05, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »
Very neat! That big handle looks like it will make adjusting the seat a lot easier than the standard seat adjustment if it gets stuck.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,May 06, 2017, 04:29:41 AM »
I think I have put that one in upside down.

If so, the standard hexagonal bolts will work, with a bit of filing on the holes on the bottom runner.

I will try fitting the runners to a seat soon.

But the runners are good, and can be made to fit quite easily.