Author Topic: Firewall on 3089R  (Read 1530 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Firewall on 3089R
« on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »
As well as most of one field being taken in to the black hole in the chassis, whatever was living in the hole had managed to "rearrange" the underfelt insulation on the engine side of the firewall.

I ordered the required underfelt from Richard at Banks, it arrived the next day, and yesterday, I started the replacement process.

First, you cannot get to the underfelt on the firewall unless you remove the diagonal struts, and the top horizontal cross member to which I believe the emission catch tank used to be fitted.

So after awkward use of a variety of large spanners, the seat belts were removed and the horizontal and diagonal struts came out.

Next the petrol tanks are in the way. Grind off the pop rivets in the wheel arch, undo 4 x 7/16 bolts using a ratchet spanner, and each tank comes through the bottom. An opportunity to de-rust and paint the tanks. De-rusting the right tank reveals heaps of holes in the top which look repairable with fibreglass, as they won't actually take any fluid pressure being the lid on the can.

Next remove the old felt on the firewall. The whole lot is soaking wet, and comes away with a sheet of plastic the full size of the firewall. Behind that there is what looks like fibreboard or thick cardboard. This is soaking wet and falls apart.

It seems that the firewall consists from the seat side as a sandwich of seat - carpet, underfelt, fibreglass, fibreboard, plastic sheet, underfelt, - engine bay. 

So after about a hour of removing wet cardboard, I cut out the fibreglass on the seat side which was around the perimeter of the 3 fibreboard panels, and then used a rotary wire brush in a battery drill and a powerful vacuum cleaner to remove all the wet brown cardboard.

Next weekend, make up 3 1/2" plywood panels to fill the large hole, then all the messy fibreglass work can start.

Online BDA

Re: Firewall on 3089R
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »
Great stuff!  :welder:  That really is a disgrace for a firewall. You'll be glad you're doing this.

I would really try to replace your steel tanks with aluminum ones if possible. You never know how much rust is inside the tank already and how they'd rust later, but I agree, if you can do something with the top so it doesn't collect water, that's a very good thing. Fiberglass is a good way of taking care of that.

Keep us posted!

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #2 on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
Replacement Ali tanks from Banks are stunning but quite expensive. If you can fix the holes there are rubber products that can be sprayed inside the tanks that will seal the interior.  The firewalls on these cars are terrible. Mine was dry so I'm just reinforcing it, and the floor, with this stuff

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/core-materials/closed-cell-foam-and-3dcore/3d-core-pet100-foam-core.html

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »
Another view, from within the cab, and the other side.

Quite a mess.
« Last Edit: Monday,April 11, 2016, 01:59:24 PM by 4129R »

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 02:43:36 PM »
I replaced my firewall with a sandwich or fibreglass and a 3mm honeycomb fibreglassed in
Made up the sheet on a flat surface cut and fitted into place. Then pop rivet 2mm ally sheet on the inside

Won't suffer from corrosion (ally should be ok) quieter maybe. And stiffen up the shell too
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK