Author Topic: Rear bumpers  (Read 4815 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Rear bumpers
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,September 01, 2015, 06:13:13 PM »
It's getting difficult for platers in the US, too. Especially California. There are some paints that produce a very shiny chrome like finish that I've seen demonstrated at Jay Leno's Garage (http://www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/video/spray-on-chrome/n35122). There are other products that are similar (maybe they are really the same thing under different names). Even if you don't need to use it, the video is interesting.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Rear bumpers
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,September 01, 2015, 10:34:46 PM »
I saw the Jay Leno demonstration as well and was very impressed with it. IIRC it's on Youtube ?   Anyway, I seem to recall someone on Lotuselan.net was having a go with a similar sort of material on some +2 front sidelights last year but I haven't seen any progress reports just yet.

It impressed me that it could be a perfect solution for those cast parts such as lamp bodies & small fittings which tend to pit badly and are difficult to repair and re-chrome successfully. If you could just fill the holes, smooth down and paint over, that would make a lot of scrap parts re-usable.  Maybe not so much for bumpers which get knocked and damage a lacquer topcoat, but lamp bodies, especially those recessed such as our cars, would be a good option.