Author Topic: Spotted in North Yorkshire  (Read 1803 times)

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
Spotted in North Yorkshire
« on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
Seen at Goathland North Yorkshire. Mine was in the railway car park.

Offline BDA

Re: Spotted in North Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »
That's pretty cool to see your car's sibling or cousin! I don't think that's ever happened since I got mine on the road (other than Lotus events). One time I saw an Elise while vacationing in a very small town. When I went to talk to the owner, mentioning that I was a fellow Lotus owner, he couldn't have been less interested! It was a downer! I would think that meeting another Europa owner would be amazing enough that you'd both be glad to see each other!

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #2 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »
The last time I saw one on the road was over 10 years ago. The owner was not with the car but I did see the car drive off from a distance later in the day. I know what you mean about some other owners. I pulled up alongside an Elise and gave them a wave and I was totally ignored. Thank goodness for classic owners lol

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »
Maybe it's something about Elise people... Maybe they just don't recognize Europas as Loti or maybe we've run into the jerks!  :P

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 03:30:56 PM »
I spent 35 years as a European car mechanic.  We got 'em all: had one in my youth, neighbour had one, friend of a friend had one, let me show you how that's done, can I sit in it, can I sit on it, etc, etc.  For the first five years it was kind of interesting.  For the next five decidedly less so.  After that it was pure torture.  I don't wear clothes because I want to talk about clothes and I don't drive (fill in the blank) because I want to hear your stories!

You need help with a repair?  I'm all ears...

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
Ok, a little harsh but do try to give a thought to the person on the receiving end now and then.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
I understand, John. It's different when you're up to your elbows in them all the time, I guess. I just expected at least a mild interest from another Lotus owner. It reminds me of BMW owners in the States back in the '70s. They would always flash their lights at each other - at least partially in recognition that they had similar tastes and partially because they were pretty rare. Some were disappointed when they became more popular and the new owners didn't know the "secret" greeting.

As for the stories, that may be just me... Sometimes I can't help myself!

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,April 19, 2016, 06:48:50 AM »
It was always the case here in Blighty if you saw another Lotus you acknowledged them because the cars are scerse on the road and in the majority of cases you have an interest in the marque. I don't expect to be best buddies with everyone, although I don't mind lol

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,April 19, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »
I seem to pass several Evoras going South on the A11 on a Friday afternoon when I am heading North from London to Norfolk.

It must be a perk of working at Lotus to borrow a car for the weekend.

When out driving around the lanes, any classic sports car (1950-1980) gets a mutual greeting.

Alex in Norfolk.