Author Topic: Fire extinguisher system  (Read 4337 times)

Offline buzzer

Fire extinguisher system
« on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
The TCS I am rebuilding was originally raced in the 70's and I am restoring to production racing spec. I need to fit a fire extinguisher system. Anyone got any recommendations on what to fit and where to put the kit

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

Re: Fire extinguisher system
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »

Offline buzzer

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 02:36:19 PM »
Thanks,  I do  search on the database etc but never seem to find what I'm after!
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,April 20, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
The organizing body will have a detailed spec as to what is required.  Check with them first!  You don't want to spend money on a system that won't pass inspection.

Mine is strictly for road use so I went with halon: large 10 lb bottle, cable controlled for the engine compartment and a small halon handheld in the cockpit.

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 21, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »
I think it's better to spend a bit more on a gas based system than all the AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) extinguishers, they work better and don't leave as much of a mess in case you actually need to use it.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 21, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
Remember though that gas does not work at speed.  You have to stop and then engage the system.  Foam doesn't make much sense for a street car because of the issues with freezing and required maintenance but it could be the best choice for a race car.  It is also required by some race organizations.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Friday,April 22, 2016, 12:59:32 AM »
It will need to meet the MSA regulations for hscc, so looks like either zero2000 or AFFF. Plumbed in 2.25L  not sure what the zero2000 system is, will look it up. Not to expensive for a mechanical plumbed in system about £150. Be looking at putting the bottle in the front compartment

Dave
Dave,

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 22, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »
That's quite cheap Dave, almost worth doing for a normal car.  What exactly do you get for your £150 ?   

I'd be interested in seeing photos if you go ahead with it.

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #8 on: Friday,April 22, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »
Brian,

Check this out Burton power. Basic system. Yes for 150 if you are fitting for road use just don't install the external trip and probably think about how to arm the system

http://www.burtonpower.com/lifeline-zero-2000-2-25l-fire-marshal-mechanical-msa-101-225-001.html

Dave
Dave,

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 22, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
A 2.25L system is not very large and, unsurprisingly, not very effective.  Go bigger.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 22, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »
Thanks Dave, that's interesting and I came away with two thoughts - firstly how relatively cheap the basic system was and secondly how the price shot up for another 1.5 litres of capacity, this extinguisher stuff must cost a lot to make !

I've 2 handhelds which are really more about making sure I ( & passenger) get out if for some reason the car explodes around us but I'd imagine that basic system would cope reasonably well inside the engine bay of a Europa. If the luggage bin is missing to allow a different exhaust route then yes, I can see the "more is better" argument.

Brian

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Saturday,April 23, 2016, 03:16:17 AM »
I'm posting this because I'm sure it'll bring a smile, especially John with the "go bigger" comment.  The original owner of my car was an enthusiast and involved with club racing so perhaps not surprisingly he had a fire extinguisher mounted between the seats. Take a look at what was considered "adequate" back in the 1970s.....

The second shot will give you some idea of scale  :)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #12 on: Saturday,April 23, 2016, 03:19:22 AM »
Does it match the cigarette lighter?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Saturday,April 23, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
Does it match the cigarette lighter?

:)

I think a lit cigarette is just about what it'd cope with.  And even then, by the time I bought the car it would have struggled - there's dire warnings on the back that it "should be returned for refill in 1970"....   

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,April 23, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
Handhelds, like chihuahuas, score big time on the cuteness scale, but, if you're strapped in and at best semiconscious after a major race mishap, a plumbed system with an external trigger is what I would want.