Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Rebuilding an 821 is EMOTIONAL

<< < (2/12) > >>

skippopotamus:
I want to thank the vendors who helped me get the parts I needed or fix what I had.
Steve Veris had gaskets, valves, and advice.  Thanks Steve!
Richard from Banks had pistons and liners.  Prior to calling Richard it wasn't looking good for finding liners.  Regular machine shops have trouble clamping the liners down to do any work on them but motorcycle shops may be able to hone them.  My liners didn't look like they would seal well where the paper gasket goes between the block and the liner so I bought the new set with pistons from Richard.
Ray at RDent had connecting rod bearings and gaskets among other things like cooling pipes.
Ken at Dave Bean was able to get me a nice set of valve guides, thrust washers, and gaskets.
Finally Megacycle in San Rafael CA was able to regrind and fix my damaged cam.  I thought the cam would be one of the easier pieces but most people wouldn't touch it.  Jim took pity on me and my sob story and reground it for me.

BDA:
That sounds like the beginning of a happy ending!

skippopotamus:
We're getting there BDA!
As a person who has only dealt with Japanese machinery, where the parts arrive almost before you hang up from ordering them, this has been humbling. 

BDA:
You need to think of part scrounging as a challenge! It just adds to the stories you can tell!

dakazman:
Hey skippy, It's been a pleasure reading about your journey many of us are on.
It seems twin cams have more support sites. Keep us posted on your progress.
I have noticed that one manual called for paper seals and another for red or blue seal for liners.

You mentioned Steve veris ,  that's one vendor I would like to hear more info on.
Dakazman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version