Author Topic: leather steering wheel cover  (Read 4325 times)

Offline 3929R

leather steering wheel cover
« on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
This is a product review.  I purchased a leather steering wheel cover from customsteering, a seller on eBay http://myworld.ebay.com/customsteering?_trksid=p2047675.l2559  The first cover he sent across the pond did not fit.  One email and he happily offered to send a replacement after I measured my wheel, no charge and I kept the incorrectly fitting one.  The second try fits great and in my opinion makes my old worn wheel look like new. 

The seller's product and customer service were top notch (his grammar not so much).  No affiliation, your mileage may very, and all that sort of stuff.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: leather steering wheel cover
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
The cover looks great. When you order, do you give the standard make and model of the car or the steering wheel dimensions? The OEM wheel on my S2 has a split on the inside seam. This should be the perfect repair.

Joji

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 10, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »
Thank you, 3929R.

I had stripped my wheel down to the core and replaced the old, deteriorating, open cell foam with larger circumference closed cell that fits my hand beautifully.  I was running all over town today trying to find a leather cover large enough to fit.  Seems every steering wheel on earth with the exception of mine is skinny.  I had given up and bought a bit of leather to make my own when I read your post.  I'm going to check the site out.  Thanks again.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 01:30:24 AM »
Now that really is excellent work. Don't sell yourself short on this one, buying the cover is only half of the work and the real skill is getting it to fit properly and look the part.

That looks as if it came with the car. Well done.

Brian

Offline 3929R

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 06:55:27 AM »
When you order, do you give the standard make and model of the car or the steering wheel dimensions? The OEM wheel on my S2 has a split on the inside seam. This should be the perfect repair.
Joji

I first ordered by make and model, but the one he sent was the correct total wheel circumference but not nearly wide enough to wrap around and form a closed seam (are S1 and/or S2 wheels even skinnier than my TCS wheel?).  This is the auction listing-  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOTUS-EUROPA-QUALITY-BLACK-ITALIAN-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-COVER-NEW-66-72-/250901023436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6addcacc .  If you order one, you might email the seller with your wheel's total circumference and grip circumference.
Mark

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,October 11, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »
 you done good.  How's that for grammar................

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Friday,October 12, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
When you order, do you give the standard make and model of the car or the steering wheel dimensions? The OEM wheel on my S2 has a split on the inside seam. This should be the perfect repair.
Joji

I first ordered by make and model, but the one he sent was the correct total wheel circumference but not nearly wide enough to wrap around and form a closed seam (are S1 and/or S2 wheels even skinnier than my TCS wheel?).  This is the auction listing-  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOTUS-EUROPA-QUALITY-BLACK-ITALIAN-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-COVER-NEW-66-72-/250901023436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6addcacc .  If you order one, you might email the seller with your wheel's total circumference and grip circumference.
I think I may order one. Do you have any reference numbers from your order that might help when ordering? Any one else in Southern California interested? Maybe we can save on shipping cost since it's coming from the UK?  :confused:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Friday,October 12, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »
Joe,

I'm definitely interested. I have both an S2 and TCS OEM steering wheels, will check to see if I can find any differences between the two.

Joji

Offline 3929R

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,October 13, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »
...This is the auction listing-  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOTUS-EUROPA-QUALITY-BLACK-ITALIAN-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-COVER-NEW-66-72-/250901023436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6addcacc
I think I may order one. Do you have any reference numbers from your order that might help when ordering? Any one else in Southern California interested? Maybe we can save on shipping cost since it's coming from the UK?  :confused:
  I do not have any reference numbers, I just ordered through the eBay listing.
Mark

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Monday,October 15, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Joe,

I'm going to order one, possibly two. Appears no one else is interested, if you want in, let me know.

Joji

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #10 on: Monday,October 15, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »
I'm in, but I think we should take the advise previously mention and email the order. I will check my wheel size as well.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #11 on: Thursday,October 25, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
The cover on my wheel had split so I cut it off along with the open cell foam padding which had all but turned to dust.  I didn't care for the thin grip, preferring instead a thicker, softer wheel to put my hands around.

I covered the wheel's steel armature with closed cell pipe insulation, sealing it in place with contact cement and ordered the leather from your supplier (sorry, I ordered it the day I first read 3929R's post and missed the discount conversation).  It arrived today, and an hour later, I have a wheel like I've never felt before.  Grippy, soft and great looking.  It's going to be a pleasure to use.  This was an excellent call on your part and I totally agree with your recommendation of this eBay store.
« Last Edit: Saturday,October 27, 2012, 05:02:50 PM by LeftAngle »
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.