Author Topic: 1970 Lotus Europa Europa del Sol (no affiliation!)  (Read 2190 times)

Offline 3929R

1970 Lotus Europa Europa del Sol (no affiliation!)
« on: Tuesday,April 08, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotus-Other-Europa-del-Sol-1970-Lotus-Europa-S2-1-6L-/111321643358?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19eb49795e&item=111321643358&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
This one is even more interesting than the last one up on eBay.

"FINAL WARNING; IF YOU KNOW LOTUS EUROPA YOU UNDERSTAND WHY MANY ITEMS WERE MODIFIED"
Hmmmmm.... I quite like un-modified Europas.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: 1970 Lotus Europa Europa del Sol (no affiliation!)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,April 08, 2014, 09:41:47 AM »
"FINAL WARNING; IF YOU KNOW LOTUS EUROPA YOU UNDERSTAND WHY MANY ITEMS WERE MODIFIED"

I don't normally comment on what people do to their own cars (free country, etc, etc) but this statement has got me puzzled.

To my eyes this takes a perfectly functional car, capable in it's day of high (ish) speed cruising for two people through rain & shine with period GT comfort and turns it into something slightly less practical than a beach buggy. (but not as cute)

And this was because of faults in the original design ?    :WTF:

Brian

(ok, it's my age, I'm clearly having one of those days.....)

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 08, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
Well..........Brian..........apparently I too am having one of "those days".   

Reminds me of a couple in a bad marriage, that has another baby, thinking it will make things better..............

The car wasn't up to the old guys standards........soooo, he made it worse.   Now everything is alright........oh' gawd
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 08, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
I could quibble about some of the changes (like the open top as I expect the windshield frame to be marginally strong enough or the 'vents' on the boot lid) but it doesn't look that bad to me.  It's certainly better than that red one from earlier. I agree that buying somebody's modification can be a gamble. I also see he doesn't know what a "Chapman strut" is as he said he has new front ones (he said he has new rear ones too but he doesn't show a picture of them).

All in all, it could be A LOT worse!

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 08, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »
IMO the hard top is a down side of the car.  i wish i could open her up.    The dash board looks plenty nice.  clean simple.  the seats, not so much.   The side scoops,  i get it, or at least what the owner was trying to get at, but just doesn't quite get there.   :confused:the covers on the top of the engine cover :confused:

The miss matched colors make it worse then it is(Chassis, engine, body, brakes, seats, etc)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,April 09, 2014, 05:59:32 AM »
There is just so much wrong with the add, and much wrong with the car, too. However, I must say that some of the 'restoration' work done seems quite proper. If not for the funky body and interior mods this would have made quite a nice S2. But as it is, IMHO, it's a fail.

If one had a spare S2 shell hanging around, this car could donate it's chassis and engine to make a decent Europa. Corners have been cut, though, so even then one must be aware.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor